Just some info on reducing the # of bedbugs

(5 posts)
  1. madd love

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 21:29:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe most of the forum members know this, but I found some info on reducing the bed bugs. The key is not to get bit. A blood meal is needed between each successive molt. Cool temperatures or limited access to a blood meal extends the development time. Nymphs can survive months without feeding and the adults for more than a year. Infestations therefore are unlikely to diminish by leaving premises unoccupied.

I also have a question since extreme heat kills them and this is the summer time. Is it possible to put and old heater on in he room and close the door and windows and let it run for 3- hours until the room gets too hot? Would that help or would they runaway?

2. infestedwbb

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 21:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

ok hum no. Really. I left for 3 days a week after the first treatment and the first night I slept in was nightmarish. I talked about it with my PCO and he said that I may have triggered the first hibernation sign and they just all came out the first night I slept.

you can see everywhere that leaving your habitation is not a solution (well I guess if you have enough money to get a whole other place and not coming back for more than a year in the other one then wow that's great. But I think most of us don'T have that kind of possibility.

as for the other question I think most of the thermal ones are made over several hours. I guess you could just make them crawl to another apartment...

3. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 21:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

In theory, you have a point. In practice, its a bad idea.

Temperatures have to get up to 120 degrees to kill bed bugs, while you might shave off some of their life by running a heated room containing them, the lifespan might not be affected at all! And theres no proof you WILL contain them and they wont scatter. They can squeeze through tiny cracks.

Unfortunately, I think the pro's are still going to say: Best Bet is to Be the Bait; get them to cross poison in search of you.

4. madd love

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 22:08:54
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg - 27 minutes ago  » 
    In theory, you have a point. In practice, its a bad idea.
    Temperatures have to get up to 120 degrees to kill bed bugs, while you might shave off some of their life by running a heated room containing them, the lifespan might not be affected at all! And theres no proof you WILL contain them and they wont scatter. They can squeeze through tiny cracks.
    Unfortunately, I think the pro's are still going to say: Best Bet is to Be the Bait; get them to cross poison in search of you.

The reason I thought of it because bed bugs die in 20 -30 minutes in the heat in a dryer. If a room or all rooms are closed and a heater is left on in the summer, it might kill them.Do you agree?

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 22:39:32
    #

Login to Send PM

In a dryer, BB have no place to go (if they're loose, they'll end up on the lint trap). In your apartment, they almost always have somewhere they can escape the heat (if not thoroughly done).

People here have written that for thermal treatment to work, the rate of increase needs to fast (or slow) enough so that the bugs don't run into the walls, but "don't know what hit them". In confusion, they end up running for the heat source. In thermal treatment, the pros use massive heaters and ducts to stratigally get the room hot enough and fast enough so there's no place to hide. (BuggyinSocal is a big thermal fan). Can you do this with just an apartment for a day without exacerbating the situation? I don't know.

Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your oroginal post. Of course, if you keep a nymph from feeding, you prevent it from reaching the next stage. If you keep an adult from feeding, it will eventually die. But how do you do that 24x7? And keep them from migrating or feeding on rodents, etc? And not wear a wetsuit?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88