(2 posts)
  1. freaked15

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 10:17:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I am new to this site, but living in Boston, I have heard horror stories about bed bug infestations. Here's my story: Two nights ago, I wake up at 6:30 in the morning and in the dark I see a brown bug on my pillow. I freak out and squish it, which results in a lot of blood coming out of the bug and staining my pillow. I wake up my girlfriend and we start flipping mattresses. We find nothing in either our room or the guest room. No tell-tale fecal spots, no bugs, and neither of us have any bites.

I am still terrified, so I call a k9 inspector who is not affiliated with a pest control company, but is NESDCA certified. My thought process here is that she won't try to up-sell us if we don't have bugs, but I am not sure if I should have just gone with someone who can also do the treatments.

The K9 inspector can't come until Wednesday, and I woke up this morning with 5 bites on the inside of my right arm. This arm happened to be the arm closest to the bug I found before I killed it. I need advice:

1) Is it possible that I just had one bug, and the bites didn't develop until two nights later?

2) Should I cancel the appointment with the independent inspector and get an inspection with someone who can also treat?

3) What are the benefits of heat treatment instead of sprays? How much more expensive is heat treatment?

4) I live in an apartment, and my neighbor said she doesn't have any. should I encourage her to get an inspection as well?

5) I don't have the bug I killed, should I keep the pillow to show to the inspector or wash everything?

6) Are there any other bugs this could be? It wasn't a tick or a flea.

7) I have two cats, is there anything we can do to keep them safe from the bugs and from the treatments?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 8 2012 10:42:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible to have a delayed reaction. That said, everyone hopes they have just one bed bug.

There's something to be said for an indepedent k9 team that isn't trying to sell a treatment. But the crucial thing with a dog team, per our FAQ on canines, is that they visually confirm all dog alerts by looking for bed bugs, fecal traces, cast skins and eggs.

Without visual evidence, a k9 alert tells you nothing.

Human inspections are an option but quality varies greatly. In some areas you can get a human who will spend hours searching, but that's not true everywhere.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111