Just ONE bed bug??

(7 posts)
  1. Dustincognito

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jan 29 2013 22:00:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wondering what my odds of having just one bed bug are. I moved into my apartment about a month ago and have had no issues until today. I came home from work, turned the light on, and found the empty shell of a bed bug on my pillow with a red-brown bed bug, (I'm pretty sure it was a male) about the same size crawling on the wall about 2 inches away. I immediately killed the bug and took photos of the shell. Then I stripped the bed and threw everything in the washer on high heat. Then I lifted up the mattress and box spring and pulled the night stands away from the wall and inspected everywhere, all the seams, the baseboard, inside the box spring, etc. I couldn't find evidence of any other bugs. I haven't had any noticable bites. My boyfriend just got back from a trip 3 nights ago. Is it possible that he could have picked up just one male bug at the hotel he was staying at and that I killed it tonight and that's the end of it?

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jan 29 2013 22:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything is possible! Can you post a photo of the 'shell'?

3. Dustincognito

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jan 29 2013 22:47:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry. Took me a minute to get flickr up and running. I think, after looking at more photos, that maybe I was mistaken about it being a male.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92739047@N06/8428009505/in/photostream

4. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jan 29 2013 23:03:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Dustincognito - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry. Took me a minute to get flickr up and running. I think, after looking at more photos, that maybe I was mistaken about it being a male.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/92739047@N06/8428009505/in/photostream

Well, if the bug you killed had shed the cast skin you found, its gender doesn't matter as it wasn't an adult. If it hadn't, then you have multiple bugs and it probably doesn't really matter.

5. Dustincognito

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jan 29 2013 23:16:15
    #

Login to Send PM

The bug I killed was crawling on the wall directly behind that casing. I have not found any more bugs, casings, or other signs of bed bugs. If that was the only one, and that indeed was its casing, then is it safe to assume that, even if it was a female, it probably wasn't even an adult and, even if it had just become an adult, it was found so close to the casing, so it probably hadn't had a chance to lay any eggs yet??

6. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jan 29 2013 23:41:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Dustincognito - 20 minutes ago  » 
    The bug I killed was crawling on the wall directly behind that casing. I have not found any more bugs, casings, or other signs of bed bugs. If that was the only one, and that indeed was its casing, then is it safe to assume that, even if it was a female, it probably wasn't even an adult and, even if it had just become an adult, it was found so close to the casing, so it probably hadn't had a chance to lay any eggs yet??

In order for it to lay eggs it would have to have been inseminated as an adult which if there were only one bug and you had found its cast skin, wouldn't have been possible.

7. ArrivingSomewhereButNotHere

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jan 30 2013 13:53:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi...I'm new here, and am freaking out. I live in a huge high rise apartment complex with 208 apartments. It has been widely known that quite a few apartments have had bed bug infestations over the course of the past year or so, so I got online months ago, when people really started talking, and did some searching for photos, etc. so I knew what to look out for. I've lived here almost 19 years, and never laid eyes on one (other than by photo) until the evening before last. I was laying on my couch watching tv, and had lifted the blanket covering me, so I could cover my feet, and saw something on the blanket. It was an ecru colored blanket that was just purchased about a month ago and had no spots or stains on it, so this quickly caught my attention. When I proceeded to examine closer, I realized the "spot" was moving. It was an adult bedbug. I froze. The combination of unexpectedness, being creeped out, and utterly terrified put me on autopilot, I guess you could say. I quickly grabbed a large piece of junk mail from my end table next to the couch and scooped the bug up and dumped it in the toilet. I immediately started pulling my couch cover out of the cushion cracks and corners and began inspecting and looking for other bugs, eggs, cast skins, etc. After inspecting thoroughly for quite some time with a flashlight and a magnifying glass, I found no other bugs, cast skins, fecal matter, eggs, etc. I proceeded anyway, to pull the couch cover off the couch, and placed it, along with my blanket, in a pile. Then I proceeded to inspect the couch itself...under the cushions, inside the arms, cracks, corners, etc. I found no problems there either. Then I proceeded to my bedroom and inspected sheets, bed, mattress, the corners, bed rail, etc. Nothing found there. I ripped all the bedding from the mattress and placed it in a pile, and then proceeded to wash all my bedding and the couch cover and blanket (bedding and couch cover/blanket washed and dried in separate loads) on the highest heat setting on the washer, and dried them on the highest heat setting. I have continued to keep my eyes peeled. I have inspected base boards, thoroughly vacuumed near both the couch and the bed, and vacuumed the lip area of my bed frame, as it had gotten a bit dusty and cluttered with my own dead skin ( I have severely dry skin, especially in the winter due to a severe case of ichthyosis) and am wondering if that one solitary bug may have wandered in to my apartment, as I have searched and searched and found no other bugs, cast skins, fecal matter, blood spots or stains on anything, and have no bite marks anywhere on my body. I have read that those awful, creepy suckers can crawl through electrical sockets/plates. Additionally, management recently installed tile in the entrance to my apartment, making the crack under my door over an inch high...as opposed to not even seeing light pass through the crack before, when carpet was there. Also, pest control sprayed my apartment (pest control comes once per month and treats all apts., although they only spray in the kitchen and bathroom in my apartment.) less than a week before I saw this bed bug. I have done all I know to do thus far, and am wondering if maybe it was just a single bug that wandered in because pest control may have stirred them up in neighboring apartments, or something. I don't however, even know if any of my neighbors, or if anyone on my floor even has them. Aside from keeping my eyes peeled, keeping linens washed and dried on high heat, and vacuuming regularly, what else can I do to find out for sure if there may be a problem in my apartment or to avoid getting one? Any information, tips, help, etc..would be greatly appreciated.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714