Just one bb?

(4 posts)
  1. Mice77

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 21 2012 21:35:01
    #

Login to Send PM

On Saturday I found a bug on my son's highchair tray, which I had just lifted off the couch. It looked like a bed bug and I freaked and called a k9 inspector/pco. He came and visually confirmed it was a nymph, and the dog growled at it. He swept the apartment 2x and the dog didn't react unless he was pulling towards the kitchen (where the one I found was in a ziploc). he said we were unbelievably lucky and his professional opinion was that we didn't need to treat. I was very paranoid and he assured me by saying it's better for him if I do treat since it's his business but sees no reason to do so. I told my building super and he's scheduled an exterminator to come on Monday to check my apartment and the surrounding ones. I was still nervous that we hac more tan one that the dog didn't find. Tonight I found what looks like a smooshed bb on my bathroom floor. I've checked couch cushins, my bed, children's crib and see no concrete evidence (though so freaked out every speck of dirt is something). None of us have bites that I can tell. Is there any chance I don't have them? How could a dog not sense them if they're here? The handler said it was 85 percent effective and couldn't direct eggs. Thanks!

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 21 2012 21:42:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear mice,

Well, it's possible you could have been very lucky thus far.

However, it's best that you maintain your vigilance such that you detect any subsequent bed bug activity, if any, as soon as possible.

In the meanwhile, there is not good that comes of panic and worry.

Your energies are best spent educating yourself on what to look for, how to look and what you can do on a preventative basis.

Also consider installing encasements and bed bug blockers under each of your bed legs.

Remain calm and in control of your situation.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. Mice77

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 21 2012 21:49:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your quick response! Have you ever heard of a k9 inspection missing the bb? From what I can find it seems that the main problem with is a false positive.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 21 2012 22:00:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Inspection results may vary whether a K9 or human inspection.

What's most important is being thorough.

K9s can be very effective as well as "not so much".

In my experience and observation a poor handler can affect the K9 results and I have more confidence in the dog than some humans.

A degree of accuracy may be added when a follow up inspection is conducted and especially so if a second dog is utilized for this purpose.

In any case, it it is best to be thorough and maintain your vigilance.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,814 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen