Just Need A Little More Advice

(9 posts)
  1. MsTabbyKats

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 18:16:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still juts a little confused....so I need some reassurance.

Not to be redundant:
    1. Dog was here about a month ago....no visual inspection....found 2 "bugsites"
    2. Had another exterminator do a visual 2 days ago....to confirm (did not want to treat withoud hard evidence)....found no indication of bbs

Can I assume that we are "free"....or should I have another inspection done after a certain period. If so, how long. (In case eggs hatched etc)

Please be nice to me. My personality is "obsessive" ......and has always been. But I've been obsessed/anxious/depressed ever since this started.

2. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 19:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you keeping a bite diary? How long has it been since youve found what you think is a bite?

What is the temperature where you are? Activity may slow down in the northern states due to these temps. Look up the 'monograph' of times it takes once fed isolated bed bugs to die in a range of temps.

I would say youre not in the clear yet. Keep doing laundry, stay vigilant!
    But remember the general times: Bugs take 11 days to hatch. Bugs feed every 3 to 7 days. Bites take anywhere from overnight to i think 9 days to show up. All of these factors indicate why the board common date to proclaim freedom after your last bite is 60 days. I myself have ingrown hairs a plenty from wearing jeans, so its hard for me to tell as well.

Stay strong!

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 19:34:07
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have confidence in the visual inspection then I'd assume you were free pending a few weeks of home monitoring. I'd suggest either ClimbUp Interceptors or BBAlert Passive. You also might want to do some additional monitoring near where the dog "hits" were assuming it wasn't the bed. On the other hand, if you don't have confidence in the visual inspection, then by all means bring in another PCO for another inspection. This could be either another visual inspection or another dog team. But if you choose a dog team, make sure they do a very thorough visual inspection on any hits. And make sure of this *before* they come over.

Richard

4. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 20:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Well sure...why not do another one. Wait a few weeks and then do another if it eases your mind. There is nothing like feeling free of this. Hang in there.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 20:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I would recommend passive monitors to most people in your situation.

If another human inspection is going to make you feel better -- AND you have confidence the human inspector is going to spend a lot of time searching, which most probably don't -- then you may decide it will make you feel better.

I would not repeat a dog inspection unless you were hiring a team which always does visual confirmations of alerts.

In most cases, I would recommend passive monitoring (BBAlert or ClimbUps) and possibly a Bed Bug Beacon also (active monitor). I would only recommend repeating inspections with a human who takes the time to inspect carefully, or a dog team that does visual confirmations of alerts ONLY because you have said you are obsessing and anxious and in this case it may help to get more feedback, and then only IF you have the spare funds to pay for more inspections.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. MsTabbyKats

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 21:30:29
    #

Login to Send PM

You guys are great.

The visual inspection guy left 3 traps (I guess these are passive monitors-they look like roach motels).

I don't know if I ever had a bite...just a lump on my back...which may just be a pimple or sebaceous cyst.

I have an lunch date next week with a friend you is an MD...(psychiatrist actually)....and she knows I'm having this issue. I'll let her look at my back.

Other than that....there is absolutely nothing indicating that there are bed bugs...except that the dog "sat" in 2 spots that I (my spot on the sofa and a bed I sleep in fairly often) use. LOL...maybe my perfume is "Eau de BB".

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 21:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the dogs come in the first place because neighbors have bed bugs? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

In any case, it's a good idea to use passive monitors. It sounds like what you have are glue traps. I think the BBAlert Passive is a good option in your case, as it's something anyone can use long-term which should give you an early alert if you do get bed bugs.

Also, remember the MD cannot diagnose bed bug bites based on visual appearance. Doctors can do a skin biopsy to determine an insect bit you there, but they cannot determine it was a bed bug. As the bed bug bite photos page demonstrates, bed bug bites can look very different (and of course, some people do not react at all).

I would not worry. It sounds like there's no reason to think you have bed bugs.

8. MsTabbyKats

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 21:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The dogs came because the landlord is paranoid about bbs in the building. I know one person had an extermination. However, maybe she never really had them either.

(We used to have huge rats in the basement....and the landlord acted oblivious. I really don't know why she is so zealous on her war on bbs. But in the meantime it's making me neurotic.)

As far as the bite....I'm just going to ask my friend to "eyeball it". Not an official exam........

9. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 22:02:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, just be grateful she is proactive.
    Im gonna say, with only one bite... I dont think you have them. Or you do not react to them. Either way, keep watchful!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs