Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Just moved into new apt. and inherited major infestation...mgr. want to evict me

(12 posts)
  1. K2000

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 22:48:22
    #

Login to Send PM

HI all....my first thread, hope it goes ok. Just moved into nice apt. & had no idea the shit show I was about to discover. Dead bed bugs, live ones...mgr. had exterminator over about 4 times to spray& dust, which seemed to work temporarily, was only finding dead ones until live ones were showing up again & was getting bit. My boyfriend completely blocked me....he wants nothing to do with this, even though I walked into this mess, so I lost him. Now battling this on my own....exterminator gassed the place last week which I think got rid of them, but who's so say one won't fall off someone's pant leg walking past my door? I took very close detailed pictures & could not believe what I was uncovering....there is fecal matter spread from the front door frame all the way to the back room....it's shocking. Underneath the counter "lip" is just covered in feces, baseboards, the front door when you open it on the inside frame is a horror show.....covered in feces & eggs everywhere. I am withholding rent until she gets this place cleaned out....she got flippant with me & told her boss I only found a few spots here & there....I took the phone from her & told her boss exactly what was going on. Cleaning co. came a few days later, I prepped for them like they requested, but could not move my dresser, it's way too heavy & the legs would have broken off. Cleaning lady got mad, said she'd talk to the manager & left....haven't heard a thing since, except a 3 day eviction notice. They are trying to evict me for withholding rent for walking into their bed bug infested feces filled apt., and they are trying to evict me.....I don't know anybody who would pay money to live like this. I am disabled on top of all this....I went totally broke moving into this nightmare. I have photos of everything....very detailed photos & I could not believe the amount of eggs I saw, I almost passed out. This is a State Landmark building, by the way. I don't know what my legal options are, but I'm not giving them a damn dime until this is cleared up.....if they want to throw me out because of their problems, then I'm going to make it a nightmare for them. The newspaper is just across the street.

Has anybody went through anything like this? If so, what was the outcome? I would love to post my pictures, not sure how to yet on this forum...I can't believe living with all this heavy fecal matter can be healthy & I'm not going near it to try & clean it.....it's their mess, they are responsible. Not to mention all these eggs may hatch. Anybody have any advice?

2. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 23:25:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I would find new apt. if it's so severe infestation. Cleaning may not solve problem and bugs can hide anywhere. Please follow instructions to clean and treat all your belongings carefully before you move to another living place in case that bugs may hide in your belongings and contaminate next place you will live at. Not sure about legal issue. Waiting other's advice.

3. zelchbug

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 26 2018 23:30:29
    #

Login to Send PM

K2000 - 39 minutes ago  » 
    HI all....my first thread, hope it goes ok. Just moved into nice apt. & had no idea the shit show I was about to discover. Dead bed bugs, live ones...mgr. had exterminator over about 4 times to spray& dust, which seemed to work temporarily, was only finding dead ones until live ones were showing up again & was getting bit. My boyfriend completely blocked me....he wants nothing to do with this, even though I walked into this mess, so I lost him. Now battling this on my own....exterminator gassed the place last week which I think got rid of them, but who's so say one won't fall off someone's pant leg walking past my door? I took very close detailed pictures & could not believe what I was uncovering....there is fecal matter spread from the front door frame all the way to the back room....it's shocking. Underneath the counter "lip" is just covered in feces, baseboards, the front door when you open it on the inside frame is a horror show.....covered in feces & eggs everywhere. I am withholding rent until she gets this place cleaned out....she got flippant with me & told her boss I only found a few spots here & there....I took the phone from her & told her boss exactly what was going on. Cleaning co. came a few days later, I prepped for them like they requested, but could not move my dresser, it's way too heavy & the legs would have broken off. Cleaning lady got mad, said she'd talk to the manager & left....haven't heard a thing since, except a 3 day eviction notice. They are trying to evict me for withholding rent for walking into their bed bug infested feces filled apt., and they are trying to evict me.....I don't know anybody who would pay money to live like this. I am disabled on top of all this....I went totally broke moving into this nightmare. I have photos of everything....very detailed photos & I could not believe the amount of eggs I saw, I almost passed out. This is a State Landmark building, by the way. I don't know what my legal options are, but I'm not giving them a damn dime until this is cleared up.....if they want to throw me out because of their problems, then I'm going to make it a nightmare for them. The newspaper is just across the street.
    Has anybody went through anything like this? If so, what was the outcome? I would love to post my pictures, not sure how to yet on this forum...I can't believe living with all this heavy fecal matter can be healthy & I'm not going near it to try & clean it.....it's their mess, they are responsible. Not to mention all these eggs may hatch. Anybody have any advice?

Really sorry about the situation you're in, wish I was able to give you some kind of advice. I can tell you that Flickr has worked pretty well for me when I've had to post photos, it's fairly easy to set up and forum members can easily view the photos.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 8:57:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Withholding rent payments is of course going to get you eviction papers. Not sure of the legal status but at a minimum you would need to put that rent money in an escrow account.
    Management is addressing the issue, I don't think withholding rent is a good plan.

5. eseptember

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 12:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

It depends on what state you are in. You could start by calling the health department. Depending on what state you are in will depend on your rights. In my state any pest control issue is the responsibility of the landlord 100%. I would watch withholding rent if you want to stay there. It could take the landlord some time to actually evict you but if I were you I would do everything by the book. This will look better to the judge if it gets that far. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I hope you figure something out. I have to say if this were me I would leave but I know this is not always an option for everyone. Best of luck to you!

6. K2000

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 22:35:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everybody who replied....I do agree with everybody about withholding the rent is not a smart idea, but felt backed into a corner with no recourse. I like the escrow account, that's a great idea. I have to deal with this on my own & obviously not making good choices. I paid rent for June, but didn't step foot back in after finding bugs whenever I'd bring a box over, I had reassurance it was "taken care of", but once I finally did officially move in, the hiding bugs moved in on me. Never seen a bed bug in "person" before and lets just say my anxiety meds quit working because of the severe panic & anxiety. I am disabled and if I could pick up & move, I would do it yesterday....no where else to go. I did talk to an attorney today & if there is no conflict of interest, he is willing to help me.

This is a beautiful building & was once a luxury hotel back in the day, now it's a State Landmark and rented out to the disabled. The level of infestation that the mgt. co. has allowed to continue is shocking at best and angers me to the core. They manage another property in town that has been heavily infested for years & I can't wrap my head around why they are allowed to still rent apt. out...it's a cracker box that needs to be burned to the ground. It's unbelievable how these bugs get into your head & they change how we treat each other & changes your life. These things would survive radiation from 4 nuclear bombs, that roaches wouldn't survive. Just out of morbid curiosity, I'd love to see how they would survive in space.....have a spacewalking astronaut let one out of a sealed container & see what happens.

I will post my pics on Flickr, then upload here...some of these were taken after all the treatments & still eggs were everywhere. I just don't understand why mgt. thinks it's ok for tenants to live like this....wouldn't it take a professional to come & clean out all this fecal mess? It's even in the shower! Anyway, thank you all for your insight, comments & advice....I truly appreciate it. I'll get my photos uploaded here soon & you can see what I'm talking about......

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 0:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

A local tenants’ organization may be able to advise you on how to get the problem sorted out and what your rights are there. Google is a good way to find tenants’ organizations locally.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. K2000

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 1:17:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so I'm going to try to upload these with no issues, hopefully.....other than burying my head in the toilet from throwing up. All of these I took as close & clear as possible, just zoom in a little
    & you'll see a lot of egg clusters & other debris that I don't know what it is.....these are all after all the treatments & declared "taken care of". I know I'm looking at a massive number of egg clusters....are they alive, dead, hatched? These are just a handful of photos....what am I dealing with here? Old remnants, or an explosion waiting to happen?

Inside baseboard of hall closet

Outside baseboard of hall closet

Left bottom of front door frame

Right bottom of front door frame

Underneath Kitchen counter....fecal stains are end to end

Kitchen socket

9. K2000

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 1:20:29
    #

Login to Send PM

What went wrong? my photo links didn't load?

10. K2000

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 1:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so I'm going to try to upload these with no issues, hopefully.....other than burying my head in the toilet from throwing up. All of these I took as close & clear as possible, just zoom in a little
    & you'll see a lot of egg clusters & other debris that I don't know what it is.....these are all after all the treatments & declared "taken care of". I know I'm looking at a massive number of egg clusters....are they alive, dead, hatched? These are just a handful of photos....what am I dealing with here? Old remnants, or an explosion waiting to happen?

First time, they didn't post correctly, I'm trying again & hopefully, they will post as links?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/42968768094/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/41877052750/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/43685097641/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/43638483862/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/41877056470/in/photostream/

Kitchen socket
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/29815425138/in/photostream/

11. K2000

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 1:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

First time, they didn't post correctly, I'm trying again & hopefully, they will post as links?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/42968768094/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/41877052750/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/43685097641/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/43638483862/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/41877056470/in/photostream/

Kitchen socket
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/151805734@N04/29815425138/in/photostream/

12. K2000

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 28 2018 1:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

On the left bottom door frame photo, if you zoom into some kind of orange thing, don't know what it is, kind of a "scoop" shape, but it is completely full of a massive amount of eggs....massive to me, cuz I've never seen anything like this in my life....eggs, bugs, fecal matter.....I can't believe what I walked into here....there's more around the apt., but so far these are the heavier infestation remnants, at least I hope so...I sure hope an expert on this forum can look at these & let me know what I'm really dealing with here. I'm sure you've seen a lot worse, but this is bad enough for me & my 2 kitties....

After I called the manager out on this & made her come & look, she took a quick look under the counter & told the exterminator I only saw a couple of fecal spots.....I am completely outraged and this is going to stop....if the attorney takes my case, I'm sure the dept. of health will be involved.....this is a State Landmark building. I did call Health & Human Services yesterday & she sounded concerned & gave me some numbers to call......nobody should have to live with this kind of garbage. Anybody know the health risks of being surrounded by this kind of bug filth?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19