(7 posts)
  1. alessa1618

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 10:54:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

We moved out of an apartment because we suffered with a really bad roach infestation for years and could not take it anymore. We found an apartment that had just been renovated, and on the next day of moving, my fiancee caught a bug crawling up on his leg. We didn't know what it was so we trapped it in a clear plastic container and tried to id it. When I found out it was a bed bug I nearly lost my s***. We had just come from the roach nightmare to this?

Later on during the night I was hanging clothes and there was another bugger crawling up one of my jackets. I trapped this one too and showed the landlord today. She says the exterminator will come in tomorrow to "try and get this under control before its too late."

From my part, I just ordered the bed bug proof mattress covers, and have been using a steamer to clean the bed and have an alcohol spray readily available by my night stand. They are not in the bed yet, and we have not been bitten.

As I said, I have never dealt with this pest before; I am super angry that this might get out of control and we'll end up losing our stuff and having to move out. Both of us are students now, and don't have a lot of money to deal with this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. BugsInTO

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 11:36:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Alessa: Sorry you are in this situation.

Start with the basics and read the FAQ's. Keep your specimans and get a positive ID from a professsional.

At this point, there's a lot still be discovered about your situation. I am not a professional, but some things that come to mind are, provided they are bedbugs (a) Did the bugs get introduced during your move from a van you rented or a moving company? or (b) Were the bugs in the unit before you moved it? (c) Are you in a multi-unit building and are the bugs coming from other units?

If they came in your move, they could be in any of your items, and I've read that bedbugs particularyly like cardboard boxes, so be careful about unpacking. Not sure how you could be careful, and hope some pros will comment.

If the unit was infested before you moved in, the renovations might make it hard to find the signs. But, on your profile, it says you are a law student. To me, this means that while you are very busy, you also probably have access to student legal clinic advice. Check to see what your tenant rights are in Chicago regarding who pays for treatment etc. and recourse for a landlord knowingly renting an infested unit.

If you are in a multi-unit building, try to meet your neighbours and find out some history on the unit and on the building.

Good luck.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 11:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

There are two Chicago tenants' rights groups listed in the resources page under Landlord and Tenant Resources. I believe the best known is the Metropolitan Tenants Organization and it will probably be a good resource.

It's worth posting a photo here just to get an expert to ID.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. alessa1618

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 11:55:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for replying BugsInTO,

I have begun to do research on landlord/tenant issues regarding pests, and I just read my entire contract again looking for specific clauses that might deal with the issue. I still need to do more research but I am getting to understand the situation better in the legal sense.

They did not come with us in the move. We did not live very far, so my fiance and I moved using his dad's van. My in-laws live in the suburbs, and they do not have any pest issues.

This IS a mid-rise historic building, so my assumption is that they are either here, hiding somewhere, or they are coming from an adjacent unit.

Nobugsonme, thank you for replying as well, and also for the resources. I will try to get a picture of the suckers, but I am almost positive they are bedbugs.

5. alessa1618

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 14:25:31
    #

Login to Send PM

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 14:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

image is very small

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 29 2013 19:37:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can post the original full-size photo to flickr, following these instructions, you may end up with a larger image.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,755 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07