Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Just had second treatment today, what should it smell like?

(9 posts)
  1. BuggedNBed

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 8 2011 14:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Quick question...I just had my second 'treatment' today and the house just smells like very strong rubbing alcohol. Nothing was moved again, not even the couch or a broom that was resting against a closet door. I took before/after pics to see if maybe things were moved and put back but this stuff wasnt even moved an inch. (read other posts for details on treatment 1/other whining, I was gone for a day and a half after the last treatment and there was NO smell whatsoever when I got home)

Do you think the guy just sprayed alcohol in here or is that what the chemicals should smell like?
    I asked for a list of treatment procedures/products but of course, received nothing.
    I am moving in 5 days and taking my packtite, clothes and anything that went through the packtite.

2. Smellslikealcohol

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 8 2011 16:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BNB: Well I just came in a few hours ago with my mom and my place smells like roach spray and alcohol. The alcohol is bcuz I use it a lot for my personal belongings every day. This is my 3rd, maybe 4th spraying so I believe your place should smell a little like insecticide but maybe not. Maybe an expert can tell you what it should smell like. Take care and keep fighting!

3. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 8 2011 16:24:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not surprised that you didn't really smell anything a day and a half later--it doesn't really last all that long. As far as the rubbing alcohol odor goes, they may have used some bedlam or sterifab that are mostly rubbing alcohol anyway. I returned from the first 2 treatments to find an odd odor. It didn't smell like I thought insecticide would smell like. Unfortunately, I never found out what was used. On the third treatment, they used Phantom, and that DID smell more like insecticide to me. A little bit like rubbing alcohol, but stronger, more pungent.

Ask them what they used; I wish I had, but at the time I knew little and wouldn't have recognized the names. As far as them not moving things around, their method might not have called for that. Some just go with the way you have prepped the areas. Although my PCO was obviously everywhere in my apartment. I had prepped as thoroughly as I could, but they did move some things. Hard to know just how they are doing things.

4. BuggedNBed

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 8 2011 18:46:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I asked my PCO when he "inspected" my apartment. He is a self employed one man operation and he showed up without any tools (not even a flashlight, I asked if he wanted to borrow mine) and went based on my word almost entirely. He told me hed have to see what he has enough of in his truck and that hed get back to me but never did. (See my post about my PCO's 180 to really get this guy).

I told my landlord I wanted to know what was going on when he told me the date of the first treatment and that I wanted a list of prep. procedures and information on the process but that just pissed him off and he refused until I refused to let him in until I had at least a prep list, he gave it to me the day before the first treatment.

I had already washed, dried and vac bagged all my laundry by this point and stored it in my car. I wiped all the bags with alcohol before I put them in the car and after I took them out and put them at my parents house. I put everything in the house in sealed contractor bags and moved them to the center of my bedroom. Disassembled my CALI KING BED and placed it on a tarp so it could then be wrapped and removed after treatment. I had moved everything in my house except the couch away from the walls (96lb girl vs. massive couch w/ lounge, the couch won).

On the day of treatment I showed him the apartment, told him he could open up whatever he needed and move the couch to get behind it.He told me he was going to not only move it but flip it upside down and pump it so full of chemicals no one would want to sit on it for years because of the smell. He didnt move it at all and I know this because I doubted his expertise after the inspection and set up markers to see if the place was really being treated properly, or at least that he was doing what he said he would.

He doesnt want to speak to me anymore unless I am the one paying him. My landlord is doing the minimum and when I ask him anything about it he tells me he is not an exterminator. My landlord doesnt even know basic tenant-landlord laws like the warranty of implied habitability. He is showing the apartment while its infested without telling prospective tenants. He wants the apartment re-rented as soon as I leave, he usually turns units over the same day. Ridiculous.

5. BuggedNBed

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 8 2011 18:49:10
    #

Login to Send PM

oh yeah, the bed was removed right after I left the house, unwrapped. I talked to the guy my landlord uses to haul things today to get a quote on removing other heavy items and he had no clue the bed or the apartments had bed bugs. He is not very happy right now and rightfully worried.

6. Smellslikealcohol

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 8 2011 19:14:54
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO that came to my house today didn't have a flashlight either. I asked him if he needed mine and he said no thanks. He sent his nephew and his friend over last week and they both wet the whole apartment with chemicals and today he came back and sprayed everything again. Its kind of hard to breathe with all these chemicals in the air.

7. BuggedNBed

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 8 2011 19:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

My unit is scent free after an hour of him leaving. Scary. I was searching for reviews on this guy and found nothing except this
    http://www.kudzu.com/m/Bugs-No-More-Exterminating-4571358
    he doesnt even have BB listed.

8. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Apr 9 2011 9:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had 6 pesticide treatments and only once was I able to smell something. I guess there are odorless pesticides. The fact that he didn't move anything would be of concern to me. My PCO does the entire perimeter of the rooms, including closets. He even takes things out of drawers and treats the inside. That said, our last treatment was only two weeks ago, so we can't be sure they're gone.

9. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Apr 9 2011 13:18:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I have used a water based pyrethroid with quite a strong odour which lasted a couple of days - unfortunately it was -17 degrees outside which made it difficult to really air out the house very well. Aerosole sprays that are mostly alcohol based sprays have very little odour after they dry - a slight chemical smell that fades pretty quickly. I hear that some of the oil based pyrethroids have a very strong odour. I find it odd that you could't detect anything after a full treatment though

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto