(15 posts)
  1. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 3:28:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,
    I'm pretty anxious right now. As the title indicates, I just discovered I have bed bugs today. We have had bed bugs in the house before, but only in a single couch, which was gotten rid of. This was probably about a year ago. Today, I noticed that the back of a recliner I use was loaded with them. We cleaned it out decently and sprayed it, but I'm sure there's still plenty in it.
    I started looking around the room and found a single bug on the side of a dresser drawer. I have found several castings in various places, including the headboard of my bed and some storage drawers. This is all in the one room I sleep in and so far I have not noticed any bites or itchiness. I also haven't seen any shells, feces, bugs, or other signs of bugs anywhere on my bed(aside from the castings in the headboard shelves).
    I know I should continue sleeping in the same room, but it's hard to think straight about what to do being anxious like I am right now. I'm not sure if we can afford professional services right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: Forgot to mention I did buy a handheld vacuum that I hope will help with the problem somewhat. I did a little cleaning and sealed the dirt in a sandwich bag. Anyone have experience with this? Is it effective?

2. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 3:28:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I found another live bug on my leg today. I think they may be coming from the chair because of chemicals. I've been vacuuming more. I sealed up some seams on one of the chairs(a desk chair) with duct tape and also covered some cracks in the walls with duct tape(this is a very old house. Built in 1897.) From what I can tell, they seem to be only in this single bedroom, but I'm desperately anxious they're going to spread. If I can keep them contained in one room, then I'm hoping we can control the population. Any further advice anyone can offer? Starting to freak out a little.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 4:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bcrew:
    "We have had bed bugs in the house before, but only in a single couch, which was gotten rid of. This was probably about a year ago.
    Today, I noticed that the back of a recliner I use was loaded with them.
    We cleaned it out decently and sprayed it, but I'm sure there's still plenty in it.
    This is all in the one room I sleep in and so far I have not noticed any bites or itchiness.
    I found another live bug on my leg today. I think they may be coming from the chair because of chemicals."

The bed bugs weren't only in the couch, so by getting rid of it only made you think you got rid of them. Did you react to bites the first time? Encapsulate the chair (though might be a bit late now). There are bed bug encasements for sofas and I think chairs or you could use heavy plastic and tape it up. What was sprayed?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 4:59:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply, Lou. The chair and my box spring were sprayed down. The bedding was changed on the mattress and pillows. The chair has a sheet thrown over it, but I don't think that will do a whole lot. I plan to look into encasements of some kind for both of those and my mattress. There is also a significant amount of clutter in the room that I am going to attempt to reduce as much as possible to remove hiding places.
    I didn't have any reaction to the bugs with the couch before and I don't seem to have any reaction at all now. No bites, no staining, no itchiness(aside from psychologically), but I have noticed a few small black specs on my pillow, which I assume are feces. I am the only one sleeping in this room, so they must be feeding off me.

5. curlysue

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 5:44:00
    #

Login to Send PM

sending love and support your way!

6. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 6:10:23
    #

Login to Send PM

curlysue - 23 minutes ago  » 
    sending love and support your way!

Thank you. I'm really, really hoping they are isolated to this single room. I know of several relatives that have them or have had them. I feel like nature is a real jerk for letting these nasty little things evolve to have so many advantages.

7. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 30 2017 2:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So, since yesterday I've noticed a bug crawling up the curtain, which I sucked up with the vacuum. I went through the curtain seams a bit later and found one bug in the vacuum(though it may have been from the floor as I vacuumed it a bit too). Just a few minutes ago, I saw one coming up the arm of my recliner and smashed it. I also got another one on my leg and smashed it. Seems like they were all adults or fairly far along in development. Is it unusual for them to come out while I'm awake? I can feel them crawl on me. Should I just sit in the chair and bait them out? With the sheet over it, they're forced to come from the floor or the back, and they can't come up near the arms at least.

8. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 30 2017 16:41:24
    #

Login to Send PM

You seem to me to have quite an infestation if you see bugs all over the place. Probably you never really got rid of your bed bugs from last time and they have been increasing in number for quite some time. Did you have professional treatment done a year ago? If a dwelling has a light infestation, a person may not even see a single bed bug for quite some time. But letting them bite you is not going to help your problem. Feeding them means they'll just increase. They don't really seem to allow themselves to be lured and some just patiently wait for someone to come along to where they are nesting. Adults can live for a long time without feeding, but the nymphs are more likely to die off if remaining unfed. You are not going to do much by merely vacuuming. It can help, but you still will have the ones that are hiding where you can't see them. I don't know what you mean by not being sure if you can afford treatment. Did you get a quote from an exterminator?

9. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 30 2017 20:34:43
    #

Login to Send PM

No, we didn't have a professional treatment last time as they were only found on the single couch and only about 5-6. The couch was immediately thrown out(I know from research now that it can be bad to throw out furniture without proper handling). In hindsight, it may have been a good idea to have a professional look the place over despite the cost. When I say I have been seeing them moving around, keep in mind that this is almost exclusively during their active hours(around midnight to 6 A.M.), only around the chair I know to harbor them(the curtain I mentioned is practically touching the chair), and only one every half an hour or so, as I tend to be a night owl. I know some people have no reaction to the bites, but isn't it unusual to find no blood stains and only 2-3 specs of feces in a heavy infestation? I have found castings in various places around the room, but they seem to mostly be congregated near the chair. The mattress and box spring have been inspected several times and we've found nothing each time. The only things I've seen at all on the bed are 2 black spots, which I assume were feces, and one dead bug flipped on its back.

10. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 1 2017 9:32:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Your words were "Today, I noticed that the back of a recliner I use was loaded with them. We cleaned it out decently and sprayed it, but I'm sure there's still plenty in it." So you do have a heavy infestation, even though most are probably harboring where you sit at night, as you claim you are a night owl. I'm not sure what you want from the posters here because you already know you have bed bugs and you already know your self-treatment of the recliner hasn't worked. If it were me, I'd get rid of the recliner as it is a home for so many of the creatures and then call in a professional. And hope he's a good one. I realize that some here do not advocate getting rid of anything but I think couches and recliners are such good hiding places that the chemicals used may not even faze the population. I think a bed is a lot easier to treat. But, as you see, when you tossed the sofa the bugs were still there to infest the recliner and that's why you need to have the entire place treated.

11. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jul 1 2017 9:32:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Your words were "Today, I noticed that the back of a recliner I use was loaded with them. We cleaned it out decently and sprayed it, but I'm sure there's still plenty in it." So you do have a heavy infestation, even though most are probably harboring where you sit at night, as you claim you are a night owl. I'm not sure what you want from the posters here because you already know you have bed bugs and you already know your self-treatment of the recliner hasn't worked. If it were me, I'd get rid of the recliner as it is a home for so many of the creatures and then call in a professional. And hope he's a good one. I realize that some here do not advocate getting rid of anything but I think couches and recliners are such good hiding places that the chemicals used may not even faze the population. I think a bed is a lot easier to treat. But, as you see, when you tossed the sofa the bugs were still there to infest the recliner and that's why you need to have the entire place treated.

12. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 2:40:23
    #

Login to Send PM

We covered the recliner and the floor underneath with Hotshot powder. We were considering getting Cimexa, as I've heard it's the most effective product available. Does anyone have any experience or success with these? I will consider getting rid of the recliner if it becomes necessary. It does have many folds that they could hide in. The main thing that is keeping me from looking into a professional right now is that the room is very cluttered and I've heard that can greatly affect a treatment plan. I've heard they can sometimes infest electronics. I have a lot of electronics in the room that I can't afford to throw out, as I use many of them for work. Have they been known to go in cooling vents on laptops, monitors, TVs, etc? I assume this means I would need to open and inspect all of them? I've been continuing to inspect and clean around the room, and slowly clearing the clutter. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

13. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 3:46:03
    #

Login to Send PM

(Sorry, the forum doesn't seem to want to let me edit my previous post)

Edit: I wanted to clarify a couple of things. The couch I mentioned was actually in our downstairs living room. The room with the recliner that is infested is upstairs. I'm not sure how much difference that makes, but I wanted to be clear this is not a reinfestation of the same room. To my knowledge, this is the first time they have infested this room and no other room seems to be infested.

Also, when I refer to baiting them, I mean that I tend to spend the hours they're active(between midnight and 6 A.M.) in the recliner. It seems like I can generally feel when they get on me and kill them. I am hoping this will keep them in the general area of the recliner if they can sense a food source.

14. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 7:49:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Just want to throw in my 2 cents. It's pretty obvious you never got rid of them completely from the first time. As far as them infesting a different room this time... bed bugs will travel for a meal. They'll move through walls and hitchhike on things taken from one room to another so it's very likely that room already had a few in there from the first time or they made their way there cause I'm willing to bet you spent a lot more time in that room once you got rid of the couch in the other room.

If your seeing bugs, you have a pretty sizeable infestation. Especially if your finding them not on furniture. I had a pretty bad infestation at one point and I couldnt for the life of me find one until it was bad and in multiple rooms. Then, once my landlords pco used a aerosol against my advice... we then knew just how many there really were. I'll just say... they hide extremely well and any you do see are just the tip of the iceberg.

Get a professional in to at least look things over and give advice. Most give free inspections. You don't have to commit to anything. But you need to do something. Sitting back and vacuuming and half assed diy attempts won't do it and often just make it worse and harder to treat.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  15. bcrew

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 15:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I will look into getting a professional to look everything over. What's strange to me is that other people in the house sit on the couch in the living room all the time(and often sleep on it too), which is where the previously infested couch was, and I rarely do. The new couch has been pulled out, flipped over, looked over thoroughly. There is a bedroom directly adjacent to the living room that has also been pulled apart. Doesn't it seem unusual that they would come to the upstairs before infesting the original area and the adjacent bedroom? This is why I was thinking it was a new infestation starting in the room with the recliner.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur