Just found out I had bedbugs

(11 posts)
  1. Sickntired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Apr 28 2012 7:16:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I live in a single family home. My kids bedrooms are upstairs. My daughter has been complaining about bites so hasnt my son. I went upstairs to change my sons bed and found some bugs on his blanket, matteress and on his bed sham. I went down stairs and felt like i was going to pass out. I was having a anxiety attack. I called my husband and he went to look. My son has a window in his room. So he threw his bed sham and pillows out. He ran out and got a fogger.( I know wasnt suppose to do that) We closed the door and sealed it with tape and put a towel under the door. I wasnt to found of chemicals in my home because 15 yrs ago i had hodgkins Lymphoma. Which is caused from chemicals and very nervous of them. Anyways he went up there a day later and cut the rug in sections and threw them out the window. We felt a little better not knowing we may of solved the problem. But from reading these posts I dont think we have. Anyways we found a few more on his box spring which wouldnt fit out the window so we took it downstairs and put it to curbside. ( another mistake.) anyways we havent seen any in any other room. We want to rip the remaining of the rugs up today which would be my daughters room and stairs. We really don't have anyother rugs just in my room which I havent been bit or my husband hasnt but we are really skevy and now we are itchy but nothing is on us. I know we have to get a PCO but we don't have money. I don't know what to do. We want to rerug but think it would be a bad idea since we are not sure about the bugs. What is DC and any suggestions on what to do? Take the rugs out leave them?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Apr 28 2012 8:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

First and foremost you need to confirm this as bedbugs and the best way to do that is take some pictures and post a link on here. There are too many misidentified cases out there not to do that.

Then start reading the FAQ's for options and ways forward but stop with the throwing things out till you are better informed, without sealing items it's a bad idea to do so.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Sickntired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Apr 28 2012 8:54:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Our rugs are 12 yrs old and was planning on doing it anyways. It wouldnt be a good idea to take them out? Can they travel from outside and come back in? THanks for your respond!!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Apr 28 2012 9:28:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you don't wrap and isolate things you dispose you run the risk of spreading the infestation to the areas you carry items through.

They key advice however is identify and confirm before you take ANY action.

David

5. Sickntired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Apr 28 2012 9:45:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David, These items arent going anywhere but out the infested rooms window. I will not do that again. Since I have read other peoples situations I knew from then that I shouldnt do that. Thank you.

6. Sickntired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Apr 29 2012 7:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I ripped out all the rugs upstairs and threw them out of the window which was in the infested room. I then broke up two old dressers and threw them out the door. Then vaccumed. I also read that someone used alcohol and Lavendar oil. So made it and used it on all the beds ,walls, baseboards, dresser. Sheets and blankets. This person said it worked for him. So i gave it a shot. I knew I couldnt do anything else because I bombed and found out I shouldnt of. Anyways, my daughter so far didnt get bit and i have to wait for my son to find out if he did. Since the bugs were just in his room. I also figured out how we got them. My daughter had a sleep over and her friends house was infested around the time she slept over. The reason why the bugs went into my son's room was becasue he was in there 24-7 playing xbox. I guess I am going to have to update on my success with this spray. But from what everyone is writing I have a feeling that I am going to be calling a PCO. What is DE?

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Apr 29 2012 9:41:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry you seem to keep missing the confirm advice.

As many good professionals will confirm there is nothing worse than someone throwing thier life into turmoil when it's not bedbugs which is why the golden rule is confirm then treat.

Please stop what you are doing and confirm the infestation.

David

8. Sickntired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Apr 29 2012 9:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

David, I have matched the bug to the ones on the internet. There were bugs in and on his matteress and bed sham. Could it be another kind of bugs that go on beds?

9. Crime Scene Clean

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Apr 29 2012 21:17:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello to Sickntired. 
    You asked, "could it be any other type of bug that goes on beds?"
    I wanted to answer that with a definite "Yes", just from personal experience. I am right now a few weeks into a bedbug scare/quandary? 
    But in the past I've had hippoboscidae as well as mites. Actually mites twice at different years. Bugs love me so so much. It isn't a mutual feeling however.
    But not even just me, lots of people on this forum, and even just by reading in general. People have woken up in bed to being stung by a scorpion. There are mosquito nets to keep flying types of bugs (including mosquitos) out of sleeping people's beds. Unfortunately it happens. 
    I hear you have trouble in part because of money. So do I, so I can trully emphasize. I'm sorry! One thing you might be able to do that is free, (I did it before), is this;
    First step, save your bugs. If you already have then good! If not, be diligent to look for them. Even if dead, or a shed skin. If it could be put on a  piece of clear tape and not damaged it would be perfect. 
    Second step; find a university in your area, your region of the country, and get the contact info. for the entomology department. 
    Third step;  Call them up and speak to them. Ask if they could help you with the identification of an insect. If they say yes then you only need to mail your sample and they will tell you. You will have certain knowledge. Then you can read about how to go about remedying the situation. It's also possible that this could all be done with email. If you have a digital camera and a computer, or even a decent camera phone, you could send a photo of your sample.  I was offered that option as well, aside from mailing it, I just decided to mail it. But in theory, you could know within hours if you get them at a good time. At most it will take a week, maybe two.

It is one free way to begin. If it doesn't happen to work, as I did this a couple years ago when maybe there weren't as many bedbugs, or for whatever reason, at least you tried.
    If you are lucky they will help you identify and also direct you on the insect's behavior and patterns and some insight into treatment possibly.

I really hope this will work. It's better to know. I know for myself, I'm really scared if it is bedbugs. But I still would rather know so I have a good chance to fight it.

Best 2u - C

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Apr 30 2012 6:08:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes as confirmed above there are too many things that people mistake for bedbugs in the panic of the moment. I would say that 75% of the sample ID's we get here and 90% of the ones I get in the postal service we offer are not bedbugs which is why we always say confirm then take action.

I know too many stories of people who have worked out on lives (left home with 1 credit card and mobile sim card) to only later find out they had carpet beetles all along. This in itself is as distressing to hear as bedbugs in my book.

There are almost too many other possibilities to list as the insect family is one of the largest int he animal kingdom and there are many more species of them than us.

David

11. Sickntired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Apr 30 2012 13:11:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the responses. I have another question? My husband squished one and blood came out. Also, my daughter had big welts on her leg and at the time i had no idea about bed bugs and took her to the hospital because her legs where swollen hot and itchy. I am going to try and get a bug and put it up on this site. But was wondering if there are other bugs that bite and fill up with blood?
    Thanks again

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams