Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Just examed the laptop. How to distinguish eggs from dust?

(9 posts)
  1. Helplessstudent

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 3:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I have examed my laptop carefully (I teared it open completely), I used rubbing alcohol and hair dryer to treat every part carefully. Did not see anythikng. Bust just found that the internet says the eggs are not able to see, is that possible to have eggs in my laptop/voltage changer/small attached woofer/ wire line?

I'm on my way to move, after I treated my laptop, I sealed it in ziploc, and bring it to my temporary location, and I'm going to move into my new apt next month, please anyone give me any advice?

I'll toss 90% of my stuff, incldues LED TV, monitor, all furnitures, all kitchen stuff/food, and 70% of my clothes. The thing that I cannot toss is my camera/laptop/my book (5T external hard drive), and especially my book's cover cannot be disassemblied. The rest clothes will be washed carefully, and will be in dryer on high heat for very long time, and I'll rewash all those before I move from my temp location to the new apt, will that prevent to carry BB? THX!

Also, I'm not sure if I should move the following items:

Business suit: Should I send it to dry clean or just put it in to the dryer myself?
    Leather shoes: cannot be washed or dryed, can I use hair dryer? And how long should I keep below wind to the shoe? I do not think I hold the hair dryer for enough time.
    Suitcase, (New, never used, plastic surface) I really do want to toss them. What should I do about them? Pour boiled water on them?

Also not sure about my normal nike shoes, two pairs of them are brand new, really do not wish to throw, but really fear to bring BB with them. Will shoes carry eggs/BB when I step on the carpet? But at least those shoes could be wahsed.

2. Helplessstudent

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 16:19:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Please sombody help!

3. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2016 1:43:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Every item you mentioned can be treated with Nuvan Prostrips.

Of course, I would never suggest that you actually use Nuvan Prostrips because they have a label statement that they're only intended for use by professionals.

But if you were to go rogue and use them despite not being a professional, I'd implore you to read and follow the label instructions to the letter. Dichlorvos is really nasty stuff. It's an old-school organophosphate with a high vapor pressure that's being used as a fumigant in this instance.

The other downside would be that the label specifies seven days exposure time when eggs are suspected, meaning that you would not be able to use the laptop or anything else being treated for a week.

Richard

4. Helplessstudent

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2016 17:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

GeekOnTheHill - 15 hours ago  » 
    Of course, I would never suggest that you actually use Nuvan Prostrips because they have a label statement that they're only intended for use by professionals.
    But if you were to go rogue and use them despite not being a professional, I'd implore you to read and follow the label instructions to the letter. Dichlorvos is really nasty stuff. It's an old-school organophosphate with a high vapor pressure that's being used as a fumigant in this instance.
    The other downside would be that the label specifies seven days exposure time when eggs are suspected, meaning that you would not be able to use the laptop or anything else being treated for a week.
    Richard

OMG, that is nearly improssible for me, I have online class to take, and so many other classes also. But if the eggs can be distinguished clearly inside the laptop, I think my laptop is fine.
    For other items, yes, I'm going to find a new PCO to help me by using the DDVP to treat them.

5. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 10 2016 7:52:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Helplessstudent - 14 hours ago  » 

GeekOnTheHill - 15 hours ago  » 
    Richard

OMG, that is nearly improssible for me, I have online class to take, and so many other classes also. But if the eggs can be distinguished clearly inside the laptop, I think my laptop is fine.
    For other items, yes, I'm going to find a new PCO to help me by using the DDVP to treat them.

I doubt that anyone is going to be able to teach you to tell tell dust from bed bug eggs on an Internet forum. You'd be much better off visiting your college's biology department or your state's cooperative extension office and asking if they have an entomologist around who can help you.

As for other treatments, most electronics can handle 120 F temperatures for a few hours if you want to try heat for the laptop. Ask the manufacturer. Some PCO's doing heat treatment will treat possessions even if they're not treating the structure. Some have chambers set up for this, and others simply carry the stuff along with them when they're doing a treatment of a structure.

There also may be someone in your area with a fumigation chamber who uses Vikane (sulfuryl fluoride). It's an old-school fumigant most commonly used for drywood termites, rodents, powder post beetles, and other pests. It's also effective against bed bugs at 3X the termite dose. That would reduce the downtime to 24 to 72 hours, depending on the dosage. (Fumigation exposure times for Vikane are calculated as functions of the fumigant concentration.)

But really, if you can find a helpful entomologist to help you -- in person -- make sure that you even need the treatment, that would be a better approach.

Richard

6. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 10 2016 11:11:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I doubt that it's possible to teach you how to identify bed bug eggs over the Interwebs. Identifying insects and droppings over the Web are hard enough.

Does your college have a biology department? Perhaps there's an entomologist there who can help you. Or you could try another nearby college or your nearest Cooperative Extension office. This is the kind of thing that really should be done in person by an expert.

Richard

7. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 10 2016 16:19:38
    #

Login to Send PM

You are unlikely to have bedbug eggs in your computer. You would have to have a bad infestation to have them in your computer

8. bitemelady

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 10 2016 17:03:11
    #

Login to Send PM

My computer gets really hot.. probably not 120F, but I always used my laptop on my bed.. even fell asleep with it on top of my bed before... so they may well be in my laptop--however, as an academic, I HAVE to use my laptop. I cannot not use it daily. So if they are in here, then they should really start helping me with my graduate studies.

9. Helplessstudent

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 10 2016 23:17:30
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 6 hours ago  » 
    You are unlikely to have bedbug eggs in your computer. You would have to have a bad infestation to have them in your computer

Thank you so much, feel a lot better, really.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,644 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa