Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Just can't tell if I have them...

(5 posts)
  1. AQ77

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 4 2010 10:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I did before. I moved into a building 10 months ago that already had them - of course, the landlord didn't say anything. There was a crazy guy living across the hall from me, so I think he was the likely recurring source of them. I spent 8 of those 10 months living out of bags, constantly paranoid. I got out of my lease a bit early and I've moved in with my fiancee.

Now comes my problem. I moved into a "clean" environment where my fiancee has been for years. We were very, very careful - only brought over stuff that could be washed and dried, and anything else was inspected, then bagged, put in bins, bagged the bins multiple times, then put in a storage space. But I'm scratching. I itch everywhere. I've found a couple suspicious marks, but admittedly haven't seen anything as definitive as the bites when I was living in the old place. I wake up in the middle of the night scratching a spot but I never find anything - no bite marks, no bugs, no blood.

Also, her parents are visiting, staying in the living room. Her mom's been waking up with hives for three weeks - about as long as I've been here. When I first found that out, I panicked. But, I also moved in with a cat. So she could just be reacting to him. And the hives will flare up in the middle of the day sometimes. I know that doesn't mean it's not bedbugs, but it's something.

I set up a Bedbug Beacon last night in the bedroom. When I got up this morning, I found something in it. I panicked at first because it looked like a bedbug - right size, right shape. But it can't be - hard and solid. I sent an email to David to see if he has any thoughts on how something got in there that isn't a bug.

I'm starting to think I'm nuts. My fiancee and her father haven't experience anything. No hives, nothing to scratch. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's an indication of sorts. I've inspected a good part of the apartment - thoroughly looked through all the beds and the surrounding areas. Nothing. No bugs, no cast skins, no fecal matter. But I still itch. And I'm obsessed. But like I said, I've found nothing so far.

So I ask: Am I crazy? Or has anyone else had any kind of similar situation only to actually find them?

2. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 5 2010 7:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you check the sofa bed the mother has been sleeping on? When I say check I mean inch by inch with a flashlight, magnifying glass and bag with tweezer for samples. If she had that many bumps you will see something - a bug, cast skin fecal - something. If you have had them before you should know what to look for.

Does kitty have a flea collar or is being treated with advantix or something similar? I had a strictly indoor cat that had a bad flea problem once and I would get bitten from time to time.

3. AQ77

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 10 2010 9:05:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, checked her bed thoroughly. Inch by inch, inside and outside of covers... everything. Found bits of fur and one spot of grease (not fecal matter, I'm sure of it), but absolutely nothing else.

And it's definitely not a flea problem either. I've had those too, but he's an indoor cat and there's no treatment going on for that.

So... I dunno. Maybe I am crazy and she's just allergic to the cat.

4. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 10 2010 16:39:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but my advice is encase your box spring and mattress with a bed bug proof encasement. They come pure white. The bed bugs really poop a lot for such tiny bugs. The spots show up crystal clear on the white encasements. Also use pure white sheets for the same reason.

That's been my experience.

5. AQ77

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 13:46:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I'm happy to report that I don't have them. But I still feel like it's only a matter of time. The building I'm in has had one confirmed case of bedbugs and I've been told management treated the units above and below and on either side as well. I've also seen more cases popping up on bedbugregistry.com around us.

As for my mother-in-law's hives - they were actual hives brought on by an allergic reaction to some medication. Unfortunate, for sure, but that knowledge makes me feel better about my home.

Of course, the lingering fear stays with me. I inspect the people who ride the elevator with me - haha, just visually, I'm not patting them down! I try never to sit when I take public transit, which currently is every weekday. I'm not obsessing like I was before, but still scared. I guess that's just like everyone else.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus