Just Bites. No bugs, no motels, no travel

(4 posts)
  1. ParanoidCow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 19:48:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I awoke Friday morning with one bite on each thigh; Sunday morning one bite on my left foot, a bite on two toes on my right foot. Since then I wake up to new bites. Thought once there was a spider in my bed so I stripped it down, washed everything then made the bed fresh. Next morning, new bites. The most bites Ive gotten in one night is 4. I tore the bed down, hunted for tell-tale signs of bed bugs. No blood specks, no black spots, no carcasses, no papery casts, no eggs in the seams, sides, under or on top. Vacuumed every nook and cranny. I don't know if its bed bugs but I'm treating it like bed bugs. Now the best part: I live in the country about an acre from the nearest neighbor. The mattress I have is newer... I bought it 7 months ago (March). The last motel I stayed in was in May (4 months ago). No pets. There are two of us living in this house and no overnight guests since Christmas.

The bites are about the size of a dime, red, enlarged and hard. Itch like the dickens. By the way, menthol has worked best for me, even better than Benadryl.

Theres no standing water in the bedroom. The house is about 4 years old. No cracks, no leaks that would draw mosquitos.

So, is it bed bugs or am I totally paranoid?

2. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 21:16:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi PC,

Unfortunately there is no way to know if you have bed bugs other than finding evidence of them. The bite reactions you are describing could be caused by a number of things and might not even be bites (could be some other kind of reaction to something else).

If you are being bitten by bed bugs in bed, you should be finding fecal stains at the very least.

My advice (non-professional) is to encase your mattress and box springs and set up a passive monitoring system like climbup interceptors.

If the bites you have are getting worse or seem hot/infected it might be a good idea to see your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  3. ParanoidCow

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 14:38:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I slept in a different room last night. One bite appeared on my left forearm before I even went to bed. Never saw a bug. Got up this morning with two more bites, one on each arm and not as itchy... maybe because I treated it with Listerine after my shower. The bites are definitely red, raised like a mosquito bite and has one red dot in the center but no blood. Spent the morning (black leaf) bagging up pillows and bedclothes -- these are going to the attic where its good and hot. Took out the garbage. Am wondering now if my paranoia is in overdrive but there are no live plants in those two bedrooms where mosquitos or gnats are wont to harbor. I have mattress and foundation covers plus climb up monitors on my "store list." If this could be anything other than bed bugs, i wish someone would let me off the hook. I live in the Southeast where its muggy but not near any water to speak of. The house has HVAC pump. There are gnats in here... could I be allergic to gnats? Do they even bite?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 14:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thought once there was a spider in my bed so I stripped it down, washed everything then made the bed fresh.
    Am wondering now if my paranoia is in overdrive but there are no live plants in those two bedrooms where mosquitos or gnats are wont to harbor.
    There are gnats in here... could I be allergic to gnats? Do they even bite?
    There's really no reason to suspect spiders since the vast majority play no part in bites. Gnats is a general term that includes tiny flies. Basically the smaller flies found associated with plants or soil do not bite. Mosquitoes, yes. Do you know of any nesting birds or rodent issues? Mites can sometimes be an issue. Passive monitoring is best bet so far.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982