Just an idea - comments appreciated [DIY active monitor idea]

(13 posts)
  1. jean127

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 30 2012 16:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So we know the BB beacon will capture bed bugs and they can't escape due to the talc and/or oil in the dish portion of the beacon. The CO2 that the BB beacon emits lasts for only a couple days. I've baked enough bread in my time to know that when you mix yeast, sugar, and warm water together it produces CO2, which is the attractant of the BB beacon. Why not mix up a teaspoon of dry yeast, 2 cups of sugar, and a liter of warm water (use an empty soda bottle)? Cut a small hole in the cap and attach a plastic tube to it and run it down to the bowl. Set the bottle of mixture in the center of a bowl dusted with talc and drape some plastic over the top. Put the whole set up under your bed, or beside it. The CO2 produced from this will last at least 2 weeks. If you isolate your bed and make sure it is free of all bedbugs, it would seem the bed bugs would go for the trap or traps depending on how many you place under or near the bed. This is basically how the BB beacon works, isn't it? I don't like to take any profits away from the sale of the BB Beacon, but hey guys, there are people out there that really need a low cost way of not just monitoring to see if you have them, but trapping, killing, and attracting these nasties. It seems this method may also act as a preventative measure to stop them from getting to you in your bed. So, am I missing the point?

2. jean127

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 30 2012 18:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Why am I not surprised that "experts" aren't weighing in on this?

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 30 2012 19:00:47
    #

Login to Send PM

One reason is that a lot of experts are not as active on weekends.
    Another is that a similar idea was presented recently and discussed thoroughly. I will try and dig up a link. (Here you go-- start with the post by Jules Noise and read on). I also changed the title so the topic would be more obvious, which can help attract more attention.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. jean127

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 30 2012 21:32:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow...that was some discussion. Was interesting reading though. Maybe, just maybe this old bread making lady isn't crazy. I may just give what Jules Noise mentioned a try. Can't hurt. Certainly won't be spending much money to find out.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 30 2012 21:35:54
    #

Login to Send PM

A thought on using a larger tank to generate CO2 with a chemical reaction: It may well produce more CO2, but may still run itself out in 5 days. The trick would be to keep the reaction from starting until needed.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. jean127

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 30 2012 22:37:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Given the cost involved, why wait until I'm bitten? Will use it to detect them before they get a chance to gain a strong hold. Simply isolate the bed and set up a trap or two. Seems to make sense to me. An ounce of "cheap" prevention is worth a pound of cure.

7. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 8:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I want the two hour of my life back I spent wading through that. Why did I look?

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 10:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

jean127 - 11 hours ago  » 
    Given the cost involved, why wait until I'm bitten? Will use it to detect them before they get a chance to gain a strong hold. Simply isolate the bed and set up a trap or two. Seems to make sense to me. An ounce of "cheap" prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The "thought" is that active monitors work best in un-occupied spaces, as they are less attractive to BB than a human host. For occupied spaces, "passive" monitors seem like a better idea. They do not attract BB to feed, rather they provide a nice - but observable - place for them to "nest".

9. jean127

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 14:10:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand the passive monitors, but I'm still going to be bait. That just won't do. I'll go with an active monitor any time and hopefully avoid the bites.

10. Eve

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 14:45:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that what the folk are saying here is that the active monitor won't prevent you from being bitten. These bugs aren't going to be poking around hopefully at a bit of CO2 gas, when the whole package deal (pheronomes, body heat, CO2, etc.) are sleeping in the bed. And isolating the bed is a hit and miss procedure at best.

Eve

11. jean127

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 14:51:47
    #

Login to Send PM

It's quite possible the people here don't understand just how thorough I can be at isolating my bed. There will be no "hits or misses". The bugs will have no other choice than the monitor/trap.

12. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 1 2012 17:24:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck!

I don't think there's a way to be that thorough.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 2 2012 4:04:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry the logic on this one is wrong it would need to be a super sized reaction to be a more powerful lure than a human being and as for isolating beds 100% good luck with that one, I tried that path for years and all it does is spread the issue to more unusual parts of the room where it becomes harder to treat.

You would be much better off focusing your efforts on avoiding bedbugs in the first place which is a war you can actually win.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14