(2 posts)
  1. singer

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2011 15:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I woke up around labor day weekend with small red dots clustered all over my feet. There were no other bites anywhere. they soon started to itch really badly and got huge and puffy. naturally i freaked out and called inspection. A guy came and did a visual inspection and found nothing. i was still nervous a few days later and had a dog came (for a hefty price). He only "alerted" to a certain area of my futon but not guaranteed (I didn't know at the time the inspector had to actually physically inspect that area). He recommended that I throw out my futon or get a cover. I did . He came back a few weeks later with the dog and found nothing. About a month later I was still panicky (got 2 small non-itchy red dots, almost looked like scratches on my hand) so I had a different dog come and he also found nothing. However, I am still so nervous. Every night I go to bed and check under my covers, blankets, corners (my bed is on a loft, right on the ground but it has a bb cover encasement and also pillow encasements). knock on wood i have not found anything suspicious like fecal spots or skins or anything (have found other bugs). It's been about 3 months now i guess. but in the morning sometimes i wake up with small red dots that don't itch per se but just a little burn...it's so slight i can't even describe it. also, i've started to get 1 red dot, last monday on my stomach and this morning on my left back area. They also don't itch at all, but they are making me crazy. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Also, has anyone had any experiences with dogs that they are wrong? Maybe I am just so oversensitive right now, and skin has regular blemishes to it that I perhaps never paid attention to, but I just don't know what else to do at this pt. I also went to the dermatologist for an overall checkup (tho i didn't have the dots i speak of above). the dots are like a tiny tiny red dot w a pinkish reddish circle around it. as i said those do not itch at all, i would barely know they are there if i didn't see it. im nervous for going to other people's houses, sleep over, etc. I feel like w 1 visual inspection and 3 dog inspections i should stop worrying but i can't . also anyone have any advice on the psychological aspects of this?
    thanks

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 6 2011 6:34:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If every one of the red marks you describe was a bedbug bite then you would certainly expect to find some black marks on the sheets. Bedbugs are messy creatures and and start producing the black faecal spots as soon as (or sometimes before) they have finished feeding. Peoples' reactions to bites vary dramatically but few people would describe the bites as little red marks that don't itch. Most people get very itchy, red lumps. Some people don't get any reaction at all.

Dogs certainly can be wrong, both alerting falsely and failing to alert. This is why it is very important to do a proper visual inspection wherever the dog has alerted. Some people bring in a second dog to see if the second dog alerts in the same place. This at least provides some verification. If the first handler inspected but didn't find anything, in my mind he was wrong to tell you to throw out your futon. Even if the futon was infested, telling you to chuck it out is a bad idea as you risk dispersing any bedbugs around the place.

Anyway, small, red blemishes on the skin can be caused by all sorts of things from diet to fabric softener, so if you aren't finding signs of bedbugs (and my guess is you would have by now), then you are probably in the clear.

R

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula