Jury awards $100K in Red Roof Inn lawsuit

(8 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 24 2015 21:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

A jury has awarded $100,000 to a woman who encountered bed bugs in a Maryland hotel. Please read more on Bedbugger.com and if you have comments, please post them on the article itself (to keep them in one place).
    Thanks for reading!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 24 2015 22:37:19
    #

Login to Send PM

This article lacks much of the pertinent details of the case.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 24 2015 22:43:53
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 5 minutes ago  » 
    This article lacks much of the pertinent details of the case.

I was working with what was reported in the Washington Post. Of course, the Post article linked to includes additional information.

If you have more pertinent information, please comment on the article itself and add it!

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 25 2015 20:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

My comments & observations:

* BBs pre-existed in the room.
    * The room had been placed "out of service" but was not inspected or treated by a pest pro.
    * There was an acceptable program in place yet it was not adhered to.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 25 2015 21:17:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The hotel industry in the USA, in a nutshell, doesn't know what to do in regard to bedbugs. I was at a Super 8 location three weeks ago, in my hometown, and I installed product and CO2, and after two and half weeks, the guy doesn't call but goes on vacation. Some just don't care. When I got home, I checked the online reports, and it was for a bedbug complaint on the second floor of the building. I wonder if the whole building is infested.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 26 2015 7:55:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Knowing what to do and actually doing it are two different things.

As stated above, an acceptable bed bug protocol was in place yet was not implemented.

As such, a previously reported bed problem was allowed to fester which led to the predictable result.

There's no magic, no hocus pocus and these situations are not that complicated such that there are no acceptable excuses for not doing the right things to resolve such issues.

And here, the jurors obviously agreed.

So, there's that . . .

7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 27 2015 2:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately to leave rooms out of service or assuring for timely and proper followup service seems to go against the grain of two many in the hospitality industry. While I understand their pain and loss it is not without risk and this award seems to underline that. Again not all the details are known so ..........

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 27 2015 4:34:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Winston,

Try this:

1. Think of a few good & acceptable practices to have in YOUR bed bug policy & procedures as if YOU were the hotel owner/manager/responsible party.

2. Reduce these items to writing and place them in YOUR operations manual.

3. Then, don't do them and/or skip some of the most important steps.

This was not a complicated situation and it would have been avoided had they simply followed their own protocol.

They didn't and the results were entomologically predictable.

Avoidable? Yes.

Sad? Yes. Especially for the person who suffered the bites and bad reaction thereof as well as the one who was bitten on the eye.

Perhaps next time these folks will actually have a pest pro inspect & treat the rooms as per their policy rather than send the front desk clerk in "to look around for bed bugs" and not call in the pest pro cause he didn't see anything . . .

It is what it is.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver