I've got some questions

(12 posts)
  1. Nolove4bugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 28 2013 23:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I can't say that I'm infested because I really haven't seen many to begin with. But my roommate was stupid enough to visit her boyfriend while he had them even during treatment, even when she was told NOT to.

Anyway, about a month ago I found a single one in my room and killed it. It was crawling very slowly up the wall and hadn't fed yet. So ever since then I've been checking my bed and just keeping my eyes open in general. Since then nothing, but just a while ago tonight I killed one on my couch while watching a movie with my boyfriend.

So now my question is............exactly how many of these damn things can hitch a ride on someone to a new location? I killed the one and figured that was the only one which came back with my roommate. So now I find another, kill it then proceed to spray my couch with some bed bug killer.
    It didn't look like it fed either, so how many of these things could be residing in my place if they aren't feeding?

My other question is I've got two birds and I'm deathly afraid of someone coming to spray and killing them in the process.

Neither myself of my roommate has been bitten here at home. When she used to sleep over at her boyfriends she was getting bit up really bad, but not here.
    We're piss poor and cannot afford anything really, so I'd like to know if this should be a great concern or not?
    Could I have killed the final bug tonight?

Sorry if this seems like a lot to answer, I just want to know where I stand.

2. Nolove4bugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 29 2013 15:40:12
    #

Login to Send PM

26 views and no replies?
    Gee, thanks for the help.

3. SteamingMad

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 29 2013 16:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You're asking questions that most of us can only speculate about answer-wise - for example, I'm sure you don't want someone guessing about what's safe to use around your birds, and most of us are going to have no idea. You really need is the advice of a professional, but remember that it's the weekend. They work their backsides off all week, plus spend hours giving advice here for no compensation. Everyone understands being upset about the idea of having bed bugs, but try to be patient - sometimes it takes a day or two before someone has a chance to offer something useful.

I can suggest this - if you're using some kind of over-the-counter spray killer, you should probably stop until you get some feedback and have a better idea of where your stand. The professionals typically advise not to use it - it doesn't kill bed bugs, and it can cause them to scatter. Also, read the FAQ here on how to hunt for evidence - if you do have them, there will be evidence.

Hang in there.

4. NOtobedbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 29 2013 17:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

You really need to spend a couple of hours reading all the information available on this website. Trust me you will learn so much and be able to move forward figuring out if you have a problem or not. A pregnant female will lay eggs and they can proliferate from there, so it is not just killing the one or two that were possibly brought into the house unless they didn't lay eggs. Obviously you have no clue how many were brought in, if they laid eggs etc. I wouldn't use anything I bought over the counter until you read everything above. If you can afford a passive monitor I would buy one, they are around $20.

5. needrest

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 29 2013 17:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I,m no expert but from what I,ve read sprayings not a good idea. Like Steaming Mad said " it can cause them to scatter". If you go the PCO route they will be able to answer your questions about your birds. Please read the faqs. They will help with some of your concerns until someone more in the know can help you.

6. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 29 2013 17:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not safe to spray anything around your birds. Perfumes, cleaners, air fresheners, etc. I recently had to get my garage treated for termites, the insecticide was applied underground with a high pressure pump. They told me that I had to get my birds out of the house just in case some of the fumes got into the house. Birds are very susceptible to fumes and vapors.....it can kill them. Also, if you or your PCO wants to use DE, do your research to see if that is harmful as well. They may have to be temporarily moved until your BB problem is taken care of.

S

7. Nolove4bugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 29 2013 20:26:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate all the answers, and I've been reading obsessively about the subject ever since I found the one a month ago.

I found another on my couch last night and killed it, then proceeded to boil enough water to pour into all the crevices of the couch. I read that boiling water can kill them and any life stages so I didn't waste any time.

None of them had been fed and if there ever was a female, she most likely would have been unfed as well. I stay up very late at night and catch everything that crawls. Most of the time its spiders and centipedes but I let them be. So far I've killed every single bed bug I've found and I'm finding myself, hating my roommate for bringing them in.

Shes caused me nothing but dismay since we moved in this apartment and now with this, I feel like moving out.

There's been nothing on my bed or under it, I've been obsessively checking it every day and night since I found the "one." No signs of blood stains or fecal matter, and I know I've probably made the mistake of not keeping one alive for proof, but the proof is the smell they emit when you squish them. Smells like rotten berries and its a smell I can't forget.

Anyway, I'm going to have a professional come out and inspect my place. I think the few were just in the couch, but the boiling water should have taken care of that. I also sprayed the couch too, and my birds are safe because they're in my room.
    Again I appreciate you all getting back to me, I'm just stressed as it is and I'm trying to be patient, I just don't want to deal with this problem. I know I'm not infested per say, but I feel my skin crawl and its driving me nuts. I have no bites or any proof of bites, and neither does my roommate.

8. stopbugginme

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 3:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

So far you have found one in your bedroom & two on your sofa. No telling how many are residing in your roommate's bedroom. The bugs are in multiple rooms at this point & I'd say you found enough to be calling your landlord ASAP to get a pro in there to inspect the place.

9. bugdude239

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 8:58:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Nolove4bugs - 1 day ago  » 
    Well I can't say that I'm infested because I really haven't seen many to begin with. But my roommate was stupid enough to visit her boyfriend while he had them even during treatment, even when she was told NOT to.
    Anyway, about a month ago I found a single one in my room and killed it. It was crawling very slowly up the wall and hadn't fed yet. So ever since then I've been checking my bed and just keeping my eyes open in general. Since then nothing, but just a while ago tonight I killed one on my couch while watching a movie with my boyfriend.
    So now my question is............exactly how many of these damn things can hitch a ride on someone to a new location? I killed the one and figured that was the only one which came back with my roommate. So now I find another, kill it then proceed to spray my couch with some bed bug killer.
    It didn't look like it fed either, so how many of these things could be residing in my place if they aren't feeding?
    My other question is I've got two birds and I'm deathly afraid of someone coming to spray and killing them in the process.
    Neither myself of my roommate has been bitten here at home. When she used to sleep over at her boyfriends she was getting bit up really bad, but not here.
    We're piss poor and cannot afford anything really, so I'd like to know if this should be a great concern or not?
    Could I have killed the final bug tonight?
    Sorry if this seems like a lot to answer, I just want to know where I stand.

Sounds like a light infestation.. I think the concern would be are any of the hitchhickers pregnant.
    It is possible you got the few that came in, but I wouldn't trust it.

As far as the birds go, they are very sensitive to any pesticides, remove them if you plan on doing a treatment.

If you don't have money for treatment now, I would start out by washing all clothing in your room in hot water and drying on hot temperature. Also do a visual inspection on areas you sit or sleep. beds, couches etc..kill any live adults you can find. Bottom line is.. if you continue to see live bugs or start to get bites, you will eventually need to treat.. By the way.. I'm a PCO. If you need advice on treating with chemicals, I would be glad to help and give some advice.

10. Nolove4bugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 15:17:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm very frustrated with my roommate at this point, she seems to think that because she hasn't seen any, it isn't a problem for her. When she's the one who brought the god damned things in, in the first place. I feel like I'm the only one being proactive about it, taking the steps to kill them when I see them. It just baffles me that someone could be this ignorant.

I haven't seen any lately, but I'm not at home. I've been inspecting everything and haven't seen any activity. Like I said before, I hope that it was just confined to the couch. The one I found in my room that same night only showed up AFTER I took off my sweater, so I'm fairly certain it was on my sweater at the time. My bed is also isolated from the wall, but my roommate's is not. Shes not getting bitten up and neither am I. So since they're not feeding, the chances of any of them getting pregnant is pretty slim.

anyway I'm tired of getting on her case to call a PCO just to come and inspect not to spray if it isn't necessary. She can't even do that, and I gave her the number to call and everything. It's her fault I have to deal with them, couldn't she at least own up to that? She was told by her boyfriends case worker NOT to go over there while his place was getting treated, but she did anyway. I really hate her at this point, I don't know how much longer I can put up with this ignorance.

also, how much does the average inspection cost? And what steps are taken during the inspection? How does it work?

11. anxietyridden77

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 15:46:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to point out that not everyone reacts to the bites, therefore you and your roommate could be getting bitten and not even know it.

I suggest you follow through with getting a PCO to inspect the place, make sure they're thorough and go from there. If you're seeing them crawling around I have to think there are more than just three total; I'm still going through a light infestation and I've never seen a live bug crawling anywhere, only dead ones and cast skins.

12. Nolove4bugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 30 2013 16:19:49
    #

Login to Send PM

anxietyridden77 - 25 minutes ago  » 
    I just want to point out that not everyone reacts to the bites, therefore you and your roommate could be getting bitten and not even know it.
    I suggest you follow through with getting a PCO to inspect the place, make sure they're thorough and go from there. If you're seeing them crawling around I have to think there are more than just three total; I'm still going through a light infestation and I've never seen a live bug crawling anywhere, only dead ones and cast skins.

Shes been bitten many times and does react to it. I haven't been bitten because I always wear long sleeves and pants and move around a lot. I've read it takes them about 5-10 mins to complete a feeding, so I highly doubt they could achieve that since I'm on the edge and so alert of anything crawling on or near me. I sit at my desk and I see EVERYTHING that moves out of the corner of my eye. that's how I've been able to see these tiny bugs and kill them. I keep my heavy boots on when I sit at my desk and don't leave my feet on the ground, they're always elevated. Ever since I found the one in my room, I haven't let my guard down I've been on full alert.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970