Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

its been three years and I think im on to something.

(7 posts)
  1. tell_me_another_one

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2012 23:39:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm new to the forum but not new to the the bed bug issue. it's been almost three long years of this and I've been looking for cost effective ideas to share. now my infestation has been kept so light that I've only seen bugs twice during this whole escapade so forget trying to identified the bug its not going to happen (seen not caught). I know there around cause I have a skin reaction to there bites and I've been getting the same reaction ever since my first encounter but on a smaller scale and almost none of my bites are adult bites it just seems there is always a few left. Moving on what I used was alcohol and cedar oil but I found buying alcohol is expensive so I've switched to methyl hydrate witch is a wood alcohol used for de icing gas lines not sure if it kills them but I think it' worth looking into cause it's much cheeper then isoprophyl tell me what you think I have more to share and want you guys to give me money saving ideas to because the bottom line is we are going broke fred this problem.

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 0:00:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a link to the material data safety sheet.
    http://www.westpenetone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/9049_Methyl-Hydrate_MSDS_EDM.pdf

If you read it... I think you may have some second thoughts

methyl alcohol is highly flammable and poisonous to consume... The vapors are unhealthy to breath and it poses a safety risk for pets.

In third world countries, it is sometimes mixed or sold as drinking alcohol which can result in blindness, brain damage or death.

Isopropol alcohol has some of the same issues, but is relatively safer... Either way alcohol sprays are strictly a contact killer which has serious limitations for use to eradicate bed bugs... Products that have a residual action are often required.

There are numerous household and commercial items that will kill BBs on contact.

I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with BBs for 3 years... alcohol is one possible tool, but you might want to seek out a qualified professional if you want to eradicate BBs out of your life.

You might want to look into the use of a proven passive bed bug monitor like the BB Alert passive for continuous surveillance dealing a light infestation.

3. tell_me_another_one

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 0:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the msds . I am aware of the toxic effects and I feel that its a fine substitute it evaporates almost imediatly and mix with cedar oil leave a nice repelling smell also I heat my sheet every 2 days and wash once a week to kill any that might be haging out in them also I bag all my dirty laundry any heat it before wash since we know they love to hitch a ride on us.

My experience with qualified professional help has not been good they spray but they can't identify the bug .can't find em . And I'm not shelling out no more money for a I might solve your problem.

Next what about mixing sugar and yeast to make a co2 trap this is a very cheep way to make co2. also a pet dish up side down ed ith talk powerder and a taped cloth with making tape to to allow bugs to climb up what ou think.

4. tell_me_another_one

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 0:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Talc power in the dish to make it slippery sorry for the chopped up words above I'm still getting use to this messaging system.

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 8:05:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you will get much better results with BB Alert Passive or Bedbug Beacon monitors.

Be sure that the plastic surface is extremely smooth, if you decide to try a DIY monitor.

I doubt that the "repelling smell" is actually going to work the way that you hope... The maker of the cedar oil product is under investigation for making misleading claims about their product.

Pro's vary in their skill and competence... Sorry to say this... It may be cheaper...but I do not think that methyl alcohol and DIY monitors are going to solve a BB problem that has spanned 3 years.

A proven commercial BB monitor is much more likely to produce a specimen for identification.

6. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 23:31:30
    #

Login to Send PM

tell_me_another_one - 23 hours ago  » 
    Thank you for the msds . I am aware of the toxic effects and I feel that its a fine substitute it evaporates almost imediatly and mix with cedar oil leave a nice repelling smell also I heat my sheet every 2 days and wash once a week to kill any that might be haging out in them also I bag all my dirty laundry any heat it before wash since we know they love to hitch a ride on us.
    My experience with qualified professional help has not been good they spray but they can't identify the bug .can't find em . And I'm not shelling out no more money for a I might solve your problem.
    Next what about mixing sugar and yeast to make a co2 trap this is a very cheep way to make co2. also a pet dish up side down ed ith talk powerder and a taped cloth with making tape to to allow bugs to climb up what ou think.

I have to admit i made that CO2 thing, found youtube vid. came out just like the guys on the video too. i cant tell you if it worked as i used some oil and talc inside so everything was white and goopy inside lol. THere were a few black flecks in the bottom but who knows what it was . I left it there for a week in the room that was the original infested room. Im thinking about trying it again tho.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 23:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

tell_me,

A contact killer is only useful if you can see the bed bugs. It only kills those you spray directly.

My understanding is if you had bed bugs for three straight years, you would see them more and more as time went on-- you would not see one or two in three years.

For that reason I would be concerned that you might have a skin reaction to something else.

Note also for what it's worth that those who've tested it did not report different bite reactions from nymphs and adults.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,826 posts in 49,816 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316