Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

It's bedbugs, now what (lots of questions)

(8 posts)
  1. Cmarie32

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 23 2017 15:14:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Apologies, as this will probably be super long and if any of the questions are repeats of old threads (I tried the search bar but came up short on a few). Been waking covered in bites and found live bugs last night, that were id'd by members of this forum as bb nymphs. Called the landlord who has a PCO coming out Monday afternoon and just want to make sure I'm prepared. Also want to make sure I'm taking every precaution as to not infest anyone else.

- From now until the PCO visit is there anything that I should be doing to prepare/keep them from spreading in the apartment? Definitely not moving things from room to room, but other than that.

- The landlord said that I would need to take my cat out of the apartment for the appointment. Was planning on taking her to my boyfriends house, but don't want to risk infesting him too. Will bb's travel on pets? Is there anything that I can do to prevent this/ensure that she's "clean"?

- Everything I've seen on here says to keep sleeping/stay in the same area as "bait" so the bugs will stay near their food source. Does this basically mean that until the PCO comes and works their magic I have no other choice but to just continue to get bit? Even after the fact (landlord said that they were going to spray a powder around the baseboards, bed, etc. I'm assuming this isn't an instant cure, and the bugs will still need to get through the powder, and I'll still need to be around to be "bait")?

- Is it best to be home, in my bed (where the bb's are) as much as possible? The plan here was to sleep at home, but stay out as late as possible to shorten the time that I'm being bit.

- Am I able leave the apartment without having to worry about infesting others in public places? For example, is it safe to go to work, a nightclub, etc?

- Is my car safe? If not, is there anything that I can do to prevent them from making the trek from my apartment to my car?

- Laundry: Do I need to wash/dry everything in my apt or just in the room that the bugs were found in?

- Once I wash everything, can't really bring it back into the apt but also don't want to put it somewhere else just in case I didn't get all of the bb's out. What's the best course of action here?

- What treatment can be used for clothing/items that can't be machine washed/have super high heat on them (eg faux fur, spandex dance costumes, clothing with rhinestone or metal adornments, evening gowns, workout clothing, etc)? I'm a dancer so I have about 2-3 bins of performance attire, 99% of which is either hand wash or can't be thrown in a dryer/withstand heat. I read something about throwing it all in a bin with glue traps in it, but where do you put the bin once the apartment is clear without having to worry about re-infestation?

- I had a friend visit my apartment/sit on my bed just after the bites seemed to start. Should I tell her about my issue or no? I don't want to freak her out/make her paranoid, but I also want her to be aware just in case. Tell someone there's a chance of bedbugs., and some might start thinking that every itch or speck on the mattress is an infestation.

- Does the landlord notify everyone in the building (there are 7 other units in my building) to let them know there are bedbugs and where they came from? Really don't want to be thought of as the girl that infested the building.

Thank you all so much in advance.

2. Cmarie32

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 23 2017 15:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

One more, sorry.
    - Is it possible to heat treat something with a hair dryer? For example, I wanted to just do a few things but didn't have time to go to the laundromat could I just blow dry shorts and a tshirt on high for x amount of time?

3. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 9:33:19
    #

Login to Send PM

You should not be starting a new thread every time you want to add something! I gave you some advice already and others could have built on that. This could have been on yesterday's thread. How do you expect people to remember the details of your situation if you post all over the place?

4. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 9:35:12
    #

Login to Send PM

And I told you last night how to prevent getting bitten until the PCO comes. Not only are you needlessly starting new threads, you evidently aren't bothering to read the replies to your older ones!

5. Cmarie32

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 10:44:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, I'm still new to the forum. Most other forums I've been on, you generally edit the title of your post as not information comes available/the topic of the post shifts. I don't see anywhere in his form to do that, so once I confirmed that I actually do have bb's, I started this "now what" thread. I was also looking to delete older posts as to not flood the board, but was unable to find an option to do that as well.
    In regards to not reading the other post, I honestly didn't know that you had replied. This was put up before that reply had occurred. I'm sorry I inconvenienced anyone. If an admin would like to delete this and my first post please feel free for organizations sake.

6. Mawiwala

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 11:56:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an admin but i think a new thread was ok, because the other was more about id.

7. Mawiwala

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 12:01:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs don't travel normally on their host. Maybe you should inspect the cat carrier and your bags and clothes before. When bb travel they are normally carried around in some kind of bag or even pant pockets, but they are not made to hold on to hair or the body.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Jun 24 2017 21:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 9 hours ago  » 
    Bed bugs don't travel normally on their host. Maybe you should inspect the cat carrier and your bags and clothes before. When bb travel they are normally carried around in some kind of bag or even pant pockets, but they are not made to hold on to hair or the body.

Actually they can hold onto hair, but not in the way that body/head lice do. They don't have grasping tarsi/claws like those parasitic lice, but can crawl on body hair. Bed bugs don't do well navigating on the skin and crawl between hairs, in fact, can't do it well at all.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com