itchy bites, no sign of bed bugs but found a different bug

(6 posts)
  1. sandoichi

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 6 2012 3:29:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been getting a few itchy bites every night for the past 2 weeks or so. They have been all over my from my ankles to my shoulders, and are horribly itchy. I checked my mattress multiple times but saw no signs of bed bugs.

Tonight while laying in bed, I felt a painful sting in my side and quickly threw my blanket off and looked down, and saw a tiny red dot on my side. Within a few minutes it swelled up like a mosquito bite. I ripped off my sheets and found this bug crawling on my mattress: http://imgur.com/3buuj

I think it might be a Carpet Beetle Larva but I am not sure. I don't know if this is what is biting me/causing allergic reactions or if it just happened to be on my mattress.

Can anyone tell me what it is or give any advice?

Thanks

2. BedBugPanic

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 7 2012 1:23:31
    #

Login to Send PM

To me, it looks like a carpet beetle larvae as well. The small hairs on their body are prone to causing allergic reaction when airborne (experts, please correct me if I am wrong), so it is a possibility that you could be making a reaction.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 7 2012 1:27:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Imgur.com is down at the moment, so I can't look. But if it is a carpet beetle, you very well might be having a reaction to its presence.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 7 2012 8:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes it's a beetle larva and highly likely to be carpet beetle or a close relative. It could be what is starting the issue you have, I have written more on this subject in a document linked below:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html

There is also information on how to resolve the issue.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. sandoichi

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon May 7 2012 9:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the replies. I have thoroughly cleaned my room and found quite a bit of dust and lint in various places, which might have been causing the issue. I haven't actually seen any other larva so hopefully it was just that one and it won't turn into a large issue.

6. BugsinTulsa

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 8 2012 12:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I have bed bugs also and have seen these pin prick size red dots on my body last night I felt a hard prick on my neck and woke up turned on the light and saw this (-) size bug the color of pencil lead but I don't think it had hairs on it and I looked up the http above and those pictures actually look fatter than what I saw on my bed. I tried to pinch it twice and it got away. Does anybody know what it could be???

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88