Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

It isnt always bedbugs even if it seems to be

(6 posts)
  1. Notsolucky

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 0:54:47
    #

Login to Send PM

So often over the last few months I have read stories like mine and hopefully this one may save someone the anxiety that we have dealt with for a number of months. I have often read about "mystery bites" and others who seemed to share our type of story but so often the person would no longer post and I always wondered if they would say they didnt have BB's after all. Perhaps this will help someone else.
    A number of months ago I wrote about how dh and I returned from a trip to the Caribbean and shortly thereafter I began to get red bite like welts. These would seem to come in a pattern of 2 or 3 "bites" every week or so and they would last for weeks.. We would find black "pepper" like flakes in our bed, and all sorts of other weird things around the house that we had never seen prior(of course we weren't looking closely either). We even found small blood spots on at least 2 occasions.
    We had Mike from Purity Pest Control attend on 2 occasions with Cody who was negative for bedbugs both times, we sprayed for clover mites, we cleaned, we inspected, we tore our house apart, we taped and surrounded our bed with glue boards ,we encased our box springs and mattress and I collected everything from our bed for months(and of course everything looked like fecal matter or a casing to me ). I saw 3 Dr.'s including 2 dermatologists all of whom said that "it looked like bites". They werent like any kind of hive since they were not widespread and they lasted too long to be like any number of other skin conditions, they turned dark when fading just like BB bites do for many. Everything but the dog seemed to indicate BB's.
    Now the bites have stopped. I havent had any of the BB like bites since August and while 3 weeks ago I seemed to have a couple of what could have been bites they went away very quickly and I dont think they were the same. We have been holding our breath and still praying they weren't BB's.
    As someone recently told me it is possible that we brought home a single BB, or a couple of male BB's and they have died off, or were trapped in the encasements . It is true that I still cant explain the bites which were readily apparent to anyone who saw them. I cant explain the blood spots we had, nor the pepper balls in our bed. I suppose this will have to be one of the things in life we just cant get an answer for at this point. I am however comfortable saying that we dont have BB's. I have to believe that after all these months we would have either seen a bug, or the bites would have increased(not diminish), or we would have found more definitive signs by now. So I've stopped worrying and I mention all of this because I have seen so many others who are in the same boat, and it just may be that you have something unexplainable as well that may not be BB's either.
    I do want to say thank you to a few people who have been of great assistance, Sean for answering many frantic questions, KQ for giving us a couple of amazing inspection tips and phone assistance, Tony from BakedBEDBUGS who we almost hired in the first month to fly across the country to treat our home who had the good sense to say "whoa" and told us to put the reins on and wait for more definitive signs .Mike and Cody(the beautiful dog) from Purity Pest Control who was positive his dog was right and I drove him crazy with the "what if's", (I must say the professionalism displayed by these gentleman was amazing...for example it would have been very lucrative for Tony to take our contract given the distance he would have travelled and we were very eager to get the work done....he wouldnt take advantage and neither did Michael), Nobugs for this amazing website, all the posters for sharing their experiences to help themselves and others, and esp Hopelessnomo for proving me with much email support and assistance and helping me keep my sanity
    In a sense this has been a very good experience for both DH and I. We travel ALOT and quite frankly we never thought about BB's, never inspected a mattress, placed suitcases on beds, clothes on beds to pack and unpack, etc. etc. We will always be more careful now. We now know about the prevalence of these things, that they can strike anyone, and any economic level, in any hotel be it 6* or 1*, anywhere anytime, and we will tell all our friends(as we have my DH's son) who travels at least once a month on business who still ignores us even though I remind him over and over again to be careful...lol.
    Im still going to get one of the monitors for reasurrance for the future, but for now I am confident we dont have them andI just wanted to say thank you to all .

2. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 10:54:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear it worked itself out for you!

Tony Canevaro

3. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 16:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Notsolucky, thank you for taking the time to write this! I know many get free of the monsters and don't write or think to keep anyone updated, but your coming back to the site and writing a highly encouraging post is what others here need! Thank you and may you travel forever bed bug free!

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 18:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi NotSoLucky,

Great post. I have often said to my team approach each problem assuming it's not bed bugs and search till you know it's not bed bugs.

I get an increasing case load of non bed bug but also non identifiable problems and they can be deeply frustrating for everyone concerned.

Glad it has resolved and worked itself out.

David

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 20:35:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Greetings Notsolucky,

Terrific news!! I'm glad I could help on a small scale. I have inspected many locations when people think they have bed bugs ... You would be surprised how many homes come up clear. I'm glad the emails and phone calls were helpful. If I can ever be of further assistance..... Just ask =) KQ

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 20:55:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Notsolucky,

Thanks so much for letting us know what happened. And for your kind words.

We'll probably never know what it was that was biting you and it certainly could have been the odd male bed bug (or two). Regardless, it is good for travelers to get a wake-up call as opposed to a full-blown problem. I wish you well in the future!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,416 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson