It all started when my roommate found 6 bugs in her room

(2 posts)
  1. Grossyuckyuck

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 2:28:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Would greatly appreciate any tips/advice.

My roommate found 6 bed bugs in her room. No bites that we know of, not sure if she's allergic to them. I also do not have any bites. I've been bitten before ( I think ) and reacted very badly. As I do with all insect bites. These bites were clusters and in 3's down my back. Red, hot to touch, and welts. This was about 5 months ago after I had stayed in a retreat at a church dorm.

QUESTION 1
    If I brought them home from the retreat wouldn't I have gotten bitten again by now? And wouldn't our problem be ten fold?

I did not find any in my room, nor did I have any tell tale signs. Also besides the bugs themselves she or the exterminator we had come out could not see any signs of them.

We are still very much freaking out. She doesn't want to hire the exterminator and thinks we can do this on our own. We have a very small apartment and she thinks we caught it early. She thinks she brought them home from staying at a friends in the city a week or two ago.

I cannot afford to pay them by myself. So we are doing it ourselves for now. I first started with my room. Dismantled bed, treated box spring with JT EATONS aerosol 12 week spray, encased it in a bed bug protector. Next day bagged all of my closet clothes in extra thick contractor bags. And sealed. Removed clutter of the floor and sealed in same kind of bags. Made sure bags did not tear. Vacuumed entire room including shop vacuuming crevices and along the walls the fine tool. Then treated base boards, crevices with the JT EATON aerosol and after that the bed bug powder. Also I encased my mattress and also treated that with the aerosol and powder.

I know you are not supposed to go sleep on the couch, but we did and have been for the last 4 nights. Still no bites..

QUESTION 2
    When I decide to sleep in my room again. Should I keep belongings ( books, paperwork, suitcase filled with old pictures and child hood things) sealed? And for how long? I know I need to lure the bugs out of my things and through the pesticide but I'm too afraid to open them if they have been reproducing in them. I'm just picturing an army of them waiting to be released. I'm concerned with them being in my things because my roommate has a cat that goes from her bed to my bed to my closet.

QUESTION 3
    Do cats carry and spread them? Or the eggs? The bugs she found and saved had to of fed somewhere because I see blood in their butt. I'm assuming they fed on the cat.

Next day we vacuumed house with fine tooth comb and the next day I steamed the couches and along the baseboards by the couches, treated couches with JT EATONS bed bug killer II, sprayed along baseboards ( all of them ) put couch legs in pet food bowl dusted with talc and bed bug powder on the inside. Dusted along all baseboards.

QUESTION 4
    Does it sound like we are on top of it? And because we have no bites do you think we caught it early????

Also all of our clothes have been washed:/dryed sealed. Except my closet clothes which can't be dryed. I was planning on just leaving them in bags.

QUESTION 5
    When should I repeat this process? What else could I add to my game plan? How long do I repeat this process?

I tried making my post easy to read, I apologize it's scattered as is my brain, I am tired and exhausted. I don't ever think my skin will stop crawling.

2. Grossyuckyuck

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 2:33:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Im leaving for Texas in a day. I plan on getting in my bed then ( Monday ). Right now the box spring and matters are leaned against the wall, I'm going to out the pet food bowl underneath the wheels when I get back.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,644 posts in 44,807 topics over 137 months by 19,666 of 20,369 members. Latest: PeterJensen, DamselInBugDistress, Pleasehelp12