Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Is whole-house heat the best treatment for our situation?

(5 posts)
  1. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 7 2017 12:45:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a verified bed bug in my son's room yesterday. Without going into all the details, I have every reason to believe that this is a recent, new and limited infestation that was brought in by my son's friend who lives next door in a separate home (not attached) where they have a verified and more extensive case of bedbugs. The boys played extensively in my son's bed. (I no longer allow him into our home and will continue this policy until I am certain their problem is eradicated as well as ours.)

Two nights ago I was bitten when I slept in my son's room (where normally no one sleeps) but I have also slept in all our other bedrooms recently and not been bitten.

For a number of reasons, I believe whole-house heat treatment (heaters in each room with fans, monitors, followed by application of pesticide and desiccant) is the right option for us. We have a lot of items in our home as well as big cracks in the floorboards and gaps where the floor meets the baseboard in all our bedrooms (next project will be to remedy this). I have young children and asthma and a mother with respiratory illness so will use but want to limit the pesticides.

I have tried to read all I can here and understand that sometimes heat treatments fail. But I cannot find information about the likelihood of success with a whole-house heat treatment.

It is expensive. I do not think it is overkill to treat the entire house given that in the normal course of washing before I knew about the bugs I would take the bedclothes and all clothing up and down two flights of stairs to do the laundry in the basement.

But I am interested in anyone's thoughts or other perspectives.

Thank you!

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 7 2017 15:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

If it's a WHOLE house heat treatment where they heat it up to around 140°F for at least 6 hours and then apply pesticides and/or a dust afterward, I'd got for it. Feel fortunate enough to have a company that does a whole house treatment, the ones in my area only do the bedrooms and livingroom.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 10:54:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it will be a whole house treatment. I had a PCO inspect the house yesterday. He said he thought a pesticide-only treatment would be as effective as a whole-house-heat (with pre- and post- heat treatment with pesticide). But the pesticide-only treatment will take three visits over the course of a month and much more prep of the house. We need to travel in a couple of weeks and the last thing I want to do is bring them with us.

Just dealing with an additional nightmare at the moment, which is that our dryer conked out (blew a fuse) Friday night, making it impossible for us to safe-dry clothing to wear out into the world. The dryer repair guy comes Tuesday.

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 15:57:18
    #

Login to Send PM

If you only found one bug in one room, a heat treatment wouldn't be all that practical.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. IckIck

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 9 2017 18:02:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your response, Jim. Unfortunately, no sooner did I post this earlier today, but I found bites (5) on my older daughter's leg (three in a triangle) - I searched her bedding and found a tiny bed bug and evidence of more. This means they are not only in my son's room but hers as well.

The original bug I found in my son's room was a dead adult female surrounded by eggs. I believe eggs I did not find - or eggs belonging to another bug - are now beginning to hatch. This week is the first time we have had bites and we are clearly reactive to them.

We are lucky to be catching this early but given the nature of our exposure (a neighbor whose house was infested who played repeatedly in my son's bed and elsewhere in the house on multiple days before I learned of the problem - bedroom, kitchen, playroom, couches) and my kids (who are in and out of bed reading and playing all day long), at this point I do not feel there is anywhere in our house that I can feel safe about leaving untreated.

I keep reminding myself this is not cancer. Sure is a big old pain though.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081