Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Is washing & drying capable of killing carpet beetle larvae?

(12 posts)
  1. iamscare

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 26 2014 16:01:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Sorry, I know this is a bb site, but I have a question about carpet beetle larvae. Earlier this month, I start finding carpet beetle larvaes at my house, initially there were on my carpet, so I vacuum my house every other day and applied boric acid. But later last week, I started seeing them inside my closet, on some of my clothes. I tried to take everything out and put it in a garbage bag now. The exterminator is going to come to my place to exterminate it after I pack all my clothing in the bag.

Can I please kindly ask a few experts for advice

1) Because it is going to cause so much money for me to bring everything to dry clean, for clothing that I can put in the washer, can I just put it in washer and dryer, will it kill all the carpet beetle larvae?
    My friend suggested me to bring it to a laudromat, but I fear of using laundromat service, because I don't want to catch other pest ( ex, bb) to my place.

2) For dry cleaning only items, can I put the items directly in the dryer, will it kill the carpet beetle larvae?

3) For some clothing I am not planning to wear for the next 2 years, can I put it in a big ziploc bag, zip it up and put some mothballs inside the bag. Will it kill all the active carpet beetle larvae? And how long will I have to put the mothballs in for?

Thank you so much for your help

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 26 2014 16:07:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

With carpet beetles it's removal of the hairs of the larval skins which are already dead so not about killing things.

If you search the forum you will find links to a PDF I wrote explaining how the issue is extremely simple to resolve.

If you can't find the link I will paste it from the office tomorrow.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. iamscare

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 26 2014 16:23:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bed-bugscouk

Do you mind to paste the link for me tomorrow when u r back at work? I can't seem to find the pdf. Thank you for your help

bed-bugscouk - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    With carpet beetles it's removal of the hairs of the larval skins which are already dead so not about killing things.
    If you search the forum you will find links to a PDF I wrote explaining how the issue is extremely simple to resolve.
    If you can't find the link I will paste it from the office tomorrow.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 26 2014 16:29:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's linked on this page:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html

David

5. iamscare

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 26 2014 16:54:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David. So I will pour some deionized water for sure. As for the clothing that I found larvae on before, is it safe to bag it and put moth balls inside? Will it kill them?

6. Neverthought

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 26 2014 17:22:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found one of these in the climb up... I have no carpet in my house but one single area rug. Can they invade a home with no carpet and I read on a forum somewhere where people were getting bitten by them, is this true?

I have found about 5 of these - when is it to many ?

Thanks !

7. iamscare

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 26 2014 17:33:34
    #

Login to Send PM

http://flic.kr/p/ppBkQm

This is how mine looks like.

8. Neverthought

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 26 2014 21:21:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I have seen the exact thing. Actually caught it in a climb up. Only thing I've caught so far, thank you God!

I do think these bite or sting , something.

Have you had any bites?

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 27 2014 3:26:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Again the alive CB's are not the issue it's the larval skins when they shed so bagging and moth balls is just illogical as once dead the issue could begin.

Please also understand that CB's have little or nothing to do with carpet. The naming of pests has little to do with their activity apart from America cockroaches which I have heard are named after some of the more veracious scavengers whose natural habitat is the US pest industry.

If that's not clear in the guide I have written I will update it next week.

David

10. Isabellebrown

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 27 2014 3:52:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you really getting trapped with beetles and their larvae then you should have to try this if you want to freed your carpets completely from them http://goo.gl/TKQfqX

11. iamscare

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 29 2014 3:00:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David

Actually I've only seen 1 carpet beetle before. But since about 1 month ago, I've been finding an average of 5-6 carpet beetle larvae everyday, sometimes on my clothes in my closet, sometimes on the baseboard, sometimes on carpet. I have placed diatameceous earth in my carpet. I think it is getting better. I'm taking out everything from my closet, to wash n dry them. For the stuff that I can't wash, I put it in a ziploc bag n put plenty of mothballs in. I hope the mothball n wading n drying can kill all the larvaes. I'm really really depress everyday now. Please tell me if these things i am doing is on the right path of getting rid of the larvae??thanks a lot

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 29 2014 5:24:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It really is all about physical removal and seeking out what the favorite item they are hanging out on is so they can be physically removed.

Above all the insects people find in their homes this really is one that people have no need to be anxious over as all they are doing is finding and consuming the things that we forget to clear up.

Hope that makes sense.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,690 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur