Is this typical bed bug behavior?

(5 posts)
  1. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 3 2013 22:13:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So after 3 weeks of getting bit almost nightly, I bought encasements for my bed. I haven't been bit during my sleep since. However, I do occasionally get bitten during the day. Also, my son and father have now started getting bitten at night. They share a bedroom. Why would they stop biting me at night and migrate to another room just because I encased my mattress and box spring? My bed isn't isolated. It's been almost a week since I've encased my bed and I've only received a couple bites, all during the day. I'm just confused I suppose. We have notified the apartment complex and a PCO will be out Monday to check us out.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 4 2013 0:37:32
    #

Login to Send PM

People don't always react to bites and people's reaction times vary. Some people here have been bitten for a period of time before reacting. So I wouldn't assume the bites on your father and son just started occurring-- all you know for sure is they didn't notice a reaction before.

Encasements don't remove bed bugs from the home, so you can continue to be bitten in bed or elsewhere.

Do you have evidence besides skin reactions? There can be other causes besides bed bugs (pests and otherwise). So it's important to verify bed bugs are present, by finding bed bugs, cast skins, fecal stains or eggs.

Have you had a bug identified by an expert yet? If not, you can post a photo here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. MegB1982

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 4 2013 17:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I have something here that I think is a bed bug, just need an ID. I just captured it crawling across my bed while my boyfriend and I were laying down browsing Reddit on our phones. It happened right about 5:00pm my time, seems odd (if this is a bed bug) for it to be out and about with no fear of being seen during the day, but it happened! I captured it and took this photo, I hope it's clear enough. Needless to say, about 10 minutes before the bug was seen, I got a huge bite on my right elbow. Not sure if this is the guy or not, though. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also, my maintenance guy came by today to check something unrelated to the bug situation but did state that he knew about it and that their PCO treats bed bugs through thermal treatment. Is this pretty effective? Thanks!

4. Nemo

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 4 2013 21:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Well pic is a little fuzzy on my phone but I think that looks like a well-nourished bed bug. Hold onto it to show the PCO. Hopefully someone with more experience can confirm this here.

5. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Oct 5 2013 1:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert and that's not a great photo, but, yes, sorry, it does appear to be an adult bed bug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,742 posts in 49,538 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie