Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is this fecal? Bug bites on the face?

(8 posts)
  1. peppy

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 14:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

This morning I noticed two marks on my face that had not been there the previous day. Both were raised pinkish bumps with a red dot in the center--one mark was on my chin and the other on my cheek. I don't think that pimples act in this way, so I started to panic that it was insect bites.

I inspected my bed and found a mark on my pillow. Does anyone have any idea if this is fecal? This photo was taken before I did anything to the mark. After I took the photo I put hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip and rubbed it on the mark. Eventually, the mark disappeared, but none ended up on the q-tip. It was so small that it was difficult to tell if there was a reaction, but I think there may have been a small one.

I have included a photo of the mark on my pillow as well as a close up of each mark on my face (super zoomed in). I know bites are not something we use to rely on to determine there are bed bugs, but I figured it couldn't hurt to include them.

Mark on pillow: http://s1035.photobucket.com/albums/a431/peppy815/?action=view&current=DSC06830.jpg

Marks on face:
    http://s1035.photobucket.com/albums/a431/peppy815/?action=view&current=DSC06830.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1035.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa431%2Fpeppy815%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DDSC06836.jpg

http://s1035.photobucket.com/albums/a431/peppy815/?action=view&current=DSC06830.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1035.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa431%2Fpeppy815%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DDSC06836.jpg

I would appreciate any thoughts on these. Thanks!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 15:32:02
    #

Login to Send PM

This does not look like a fecal stain to me.

3. peppy

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 16:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks KQ. I guess I should have asked an additional question. Is it possible that if I were bitten on my face, I would have bled onto my pillow? Or does it not work that way?

4. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 20:09:07
    #

Login to Send PM

It is very unusual to bleed from the bite as a direct result of the puncture wound. If the bites become itchy and you scratch at them you can cause them to bleed but you would presumably be aware of this if the bites were on your face.

I agree with KQ, they don't look like fecal to me either.

R

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 9:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I agree with KQ and RN on this one, its not faecal related, wrong colour and texture.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 28 2010 20:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

What are the aforementioned blood spots then that people always refer to on bedding? Aren't these separate from fecal matter??
    I ask because I keep finding blood spots on the pillow case. The other day a row of four blood spots, spaced fairly well apart and the same size appeared on my other half's pillow case. There was slight smudging to each dot as if some dragging was involved. I imagine he was moving against the pillow when this happened. And today I found another spot but a bit different, about 1/4" wide, more like a stain or spot that had soaked into the fabric and didn't bleed through to the pillow.
    Have been under the impression that we sometimes bleed during the bite process and this is where the blood spots come from.

7. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 15:28:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Victimized--I have read here that the blood spots that sometimes show up result when we unknowing squash a bug. It forces the blood out, without kiling the bug. But I have found at least one small blood stain in a place where I couldn't have possibly squashed it--low on the side of the mattress long ago. I have seen a picture resembly such a small blood stain on David Cain's site. How this happens, I don't know. I suppose an over-fed bug might lose some of it on the way back to harborage.

I have also read here that bites rarely bleed. But they do sometimes. I got one on the side of my arm that was bleeding a little. And another that looked like it had bled and dried.

I suppose just about anything can happen. Nothing seems to be carved in stone with these damn bugs.

8. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 15:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

And I should add that I didn't make it bleed by scratching. I seldom itch anymore, and never scratch on the rare occasions when I do. I just wait it out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956