Is this even possible??

(8 posts)
  1. brekat

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 0:07:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted here earlier but I am going a little crazy thinking we have bed bugs (we lost almost our whole apartment five years ago to those suckers and they have haunted me ever since...). Anyhow, here is what has happened: We have had no signs of bed bugs until this morning - my husband, child and I all share a bed each night and no one has had a single mark on them until this morning when I looked at my son's thighs - between each thigh he had 26 little scabs on his thighs!!! He said he had scratched them really hard and made them bleed and that they had little skin colored bumps on his thighs. Now they are all scabs - one set is a very distinct line of three and the rest are pretty random , although still in groups. They are miniscule and barely raised - they look more like paper cuts then welts. They have not itched him at all since he scratched them into scabs. I am so paranoid because of the line of 3 bites... I just can't make sense of it though. Is it even possible to jump from no bites whatsoever on anyone to 26 in one night on the thighs only??? Its so strange. Does this seem far fetched that its bbs?? or does the line of 3 make it most probable?? I checked everything - no signs of anything whatsoever and nothing on my husband or myself. sorry for being so crazy but I am kinda freaking out. I went and spent $360 on mattress encasements tonight - should I put them on asap to try to trap anything in there or should I just wait it out a bit more?? How likely is it to go from zero bites in five years to 26 in one day?? and all in one spot??

2. brekat

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 0:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

p.s. I plan to send my husband to my son's side of the bed tonight to see if he gets any marks as he broke out in massive hives the last time we suffered this nightmare, hopefully he hasn't formed some immunity!!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 0:27:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Most people do not react immediately, and bed bug bites can take days or even a week or more to appear. So don't assume your son is being bitten at home IF it is bed bugs.

Also explore other possibilities: Mosquitos, fleas, as well as medical causes like scabies or various skin problems.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 0:29:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, as I said in the other thread, peoples' reactions to bed bug bites vary. It's not necessarily true that your husband would react right away to bites, even if he got them before.

Asking around other places your son goes, and passive or pitfall bed bug monitors are probably a good idea, as is ruling out other skin conditions.

5. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 9:21:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly, this sounds like a rash to me, unrelated to bedbugs. If he got 26 bites in one night – or even slowly over time – I'm sure you'd be finding evidence. Consider he may be allergic to something, have eczema, or something else. Mattress and box spring covers are never a bad idea, though. Be sure to wash and dry them on hot before putting them on your bed.

6. brekat

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 10:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for your responses My hubby has nothing on him this morning although I know reactions can take awhile. I guess I take comfort from the fact that my husband was so allergic last go around that he swelled immediately and massively with each bite - I actually caught one live five years ago because it bit his face in the night and he woke up cause his face was puffing up to twice its size and the bug was still running across his pillow!! anyhow, I checked my son's legs this morning - all the scabs have almost disappeared altogether and there are a few teensy little flesh colored looking blisters in the area that had never scabbed - they definitely aren't resembling bites of any kind today, most likely a little skin reaction. Nothing new on anyone. I am feeling a lot better although I will still check us religiously for the next month!!

7. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 10:10:48
    #

Login to Send PM

If his reactions persist, you may want to take your son to a dermatologist or an allergist.

8. brekat

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 19 2012 14:26:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone again,
    its been 10 days since my son had all those strange "bite" symptoms and since then - nothing. Not a mark on anyone, not him or my husband or self (we all share a bed). I was getting pretty relaxed about the situation except that this morning I found a few rusty colored spots on our sheets under my side around the midsection area. I don't react to bites (not even mosquitoes) so I very well could be bitten and not show marks, so now I am quite concerned... the marks washed away in a hot water wash but I am still worried. Anyhow, rather than sit around fretting any further , I have developed an action plan. I have an independent K9 sniffer dog coming out tomorrow morning to check the whole house and IF he alerts (I am not convinced we have them based on the absence of bite symptoms for 10 days now), but IF he alerts, I have already contacted our city's most reputable thermal heat treatment company and can have them in as early as next MOnday!! I am feeling so much better now that I know what I am going to do regardless!! I guess though I am a little worried about things like the k9 dog giving us a false negative or false positive - they said he is 98% accurate but still... what if he alerts just so that they can keep up their reputation as being a solid detector?? How has anyone's issues been with their k9 inspections? any tips?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,755 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07