Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Is this bedbug related? [a: dermestid beetle larvae]

(4 posts)
  1. isthatabedbug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 22:05:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Over the past month I've been getting welts here and there, on different parts of my body. In the middle of the welts is one tiny bump. Started out with one on my upper arm, and another on my thumb (right side). About a week later I got a few clustered ones that were really large welts with the bumps in the middle (right side) in the same area of my arm. I then got one on my right foot a few days later. Then a few more days later I got another one on my right thumb. a few MORE days later, I got one on my left toe, then lastly, one on the back of my leg followed by the last one on my right big toe. I've also been itching in other places, but no signs of bumps, redness, or anything. Could this be from bedbugs?

(Here's a photo of the welts, this is about a medium on the small to large scale http://i.imgur.com/PAU3BxO.jpg)

(I just found this on my carpet http://i.imgur.com/d9fSewH.jpg)

My question is does this sound like something bed bug related? I find these red areas after waking up. Also, can the thing in the second photo be ID'd please?
    Thank you

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 5:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The second image is of a larval skin.

If you search the forum for carpet beetle larva you can see it could cause the symptoms you describe.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 7:22:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Beetle larva (what is pictured in the second link) can be (and always is) found in anyone's home. You would need a "serious infestation" for this to be the cause of your "skin reactions".

Your "possible bites" and bite locations are reasons of concern. Get a professional inspection and stop trying to guess what the cause is or search online for help. A good inspection can/will tell you if it's bed bugs.

Good luck!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 8:59:25
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 1 hour ago  » 
    Beetle larva (what is pictured in the second link) can be (and always is) found in anyone's home. You would need a "serious infestation" for this to be the cause of your "skin reactions".
    Your "possible bites" and bite locations are reasons of concern. Get a professional inspection and stop trying to guess what the cause is or search online for help. A good inspection can/will tell you if it's bed bugs.
    Good luck!

This could be a dermestid larva and not only the skin. It looks pretty much entire. There are a few common species that can be found in the home but not all larvae have the hastisetae that are known to cause the dermatitis. You might have a larger infestation that you haven't come across and you are finding the outlying specimens, but a proper inspection will be able to rule out various things and rule in certain causes, as well.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,316 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto