Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is this an adult bed bug??? [a: adult female bed bug or closely related species]

(8 posts)
  1. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 7:06:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the multiple posts requesting ID but I have been fighting the bed bug fight since August and it is just the last couple of weeks that I am starting to find them around my apartment - this one was found this morning in my bathroom sink! I live in a bachelor apartment so I think it would be hard for them to just be contained within my bed area.

Can you confirm that this is an adult bed bug please:

http://imgur.com/a/vSWkd

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 7:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Adult female bed bug.

3. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 7:42:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! and thank god it was found and disposed of! How can you tell it is a female and I hope it didn't have a chance to lay any eggs!!

Bathroom sink is a weird place to find one isn't it? It was there as soon as I went into the bathroom. It didn't fall out of my hair or come off me or anything like that.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 9:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

The rear end of the female is rounded, where a male adult is asymmetric, coming to a point.
    The bathroom may be an indication that it has come from an adjoining unit if there is a shared wall.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 12:42:23
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 hours ago  » 
    The rear end of the female is rounded, where a male adult is asymmetric, coming to a point.
    The bathroom may be an indication that it has come from an adjoining unit if there is a shared wall.

I wish you had gotten closer to it to take the picture. It's interestingly quite round and looks a little hairy, but that could be artifact due to picture quality. Do you know if there is a roosting bat or nesting bird issue?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 15:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this photo better? There are no roosting bat or nesting bird issues that I know of at my apartment building.

http://imgur.com/a/6tlVA

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 21:18:32
    #

Login to Send PM

A question for Lou or another expert that I think is on topic.

It doesn't look like it's fed recently right?

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2016 19:37:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I found another bug like this one (see link below) that I requested ID on a couple of weeks ago. I had taken my toiletries bag from under the bathroom sink to store in a plastic bag before my last treatment. I took the bag out to use it the other day and found another bug that looked just like this one.
    http://imgur.com/a/6tlVA

Loubugs didn't give a positive ID for this one because of the quality of the photo. I didn't get a good photo this time either because it was moving and I was afraid it would get away and I squished it.

The other live bed bugs that I have found always had a lighter color on most of its body except for the dark area which is its recent meal...is this correct?

This bug and the one in the link is so dark all over. Is this the way they look as adults?

I am at the end of my rope with this. It has not gotten "really" bad in that I only get a bite every week or so. The building management has been really good and get the PCO in as soon as I have a bite or see a live bug...at first I had orkin and they were giving very conservative treatments I guess so once another unit reported to management, they switched PCOs to one that gives a more agressive treatment and also wants a more complete prep beforehand.

So I had 3 treatments with orkin...2 in august and one in September. Now I have had 2 by the new company and about to have a 3rd....I am so tired of this. Drying everything, inspecting, bagging, worrying, It has been 3 and 1/2 months!!

Here is my timeline:
    Aug 2 - bites that I assumed were hives or mosquito bites
    Aug 7 - more bites - went to the pharmacy to get some cortisone or something for the itch. Pharmacist told me they looked like bed bug bites. Went home and started looking hard around my bed for signs and found signs of infestation on the corner of my boxspring on the outside and a live adult (saved this one for confirmation from the PCO). Building management said that there was a report 2 weeks ago and they had been treated....umm I wonder if I got them from them. I don't know where these units were in relation to mine and the manager wouldn't tell me.
    Aug 11 - 1st treatment Orkin (confirmed infestation in that area)
    Aug 15 - one row of bites (classic 3 in a row)
    Aug 24 - 2nd treatment Orkin (encasements were put on mattress and box spring - the first ones I got were too big but it was all I could find. Orkin brought the right fitting ones. I put climb up interceptors on my bed legs)
    Sept 12 - one bite
    Sept 20 - one row of bites (like above)
    Sept 23 - 3rd treatment by Orkin. Found 3 dead bugs in an interceptor - PCO left the boxspring encasement unzipped...why? I have no idea!
    Sept 26 - found another live bug - just one on my jacket while in the elevator. Notified the building management and they decided to get another company to do some inspecting in neighboring units. They were found in the unit above mine and another beside mine.
    Sept 30 - new company - treatment was done to the other 2 units (focal units they said) and a "preventative", lighter treatment was done to my unit and a few other neighboring units.
    Oct 11 - Bit again! Notified the building management.
    Oct 12 - found live bug on the side of my bed. Notified building management and I asked to be treated again. They said that the other 2 infested units were just treated again on Oct 7 (one week after their first one) so she didn't know when I could be treated again (may have to wait until the other units were due again). They must have had a pretty bad infestation to be treated again so soon after their first one.
    Oct 13 - live bug found on the floor by my bed - full treatment scheduled for the 20th
    Oct 20 - "full" treatment done by the "new company"
    Nov 1 - new group of 3 bites - another treatment scheduled for the 8th.

I have been keeping my clothes bagged, washing my bedding regularly, doing about all I can do. I just don't know anymore...
    I moved away to work...my first time away from my hometown in my very own apartment and this is what happens! My mother came to help me take care of things the during the first episode in August.
    I feel like I want to move out of this hell hole! I haven't talked to building management about that option and the prep to move is a whole other conversation. The fact that I am in a bachelor apt and don't own very much stuff is a blessing. I could probably take each individual item that I own and inspect, wash, pack it, unassemble book case, ikea sofa, etc.

So what started as a question about the description of an adult bed bug has turned into a dissertation on my experience since August. It feels somewhat therapeutic though! If anyone has any thoughts, comments, advice please give it....I would welcome it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur