Is this a picture of a Bed Bug? [a: not bed bugs]

(22 posts)
  1. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 20:21:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So, my daughter came back from college for the first time in Dec. She came back again last week for Spring Break. She was joking and said she had 3 bites on her hand and they were probably from a Bed Bug. I told her that wasn't funny. Well, she brought in her dirty clothes hamper in the laundry room and left it and took her suitcase upstairs to her room. Her purse of course was carried and hung all other the house! The next morning she woke up and said she was freaking out because she had more bites. She said she killed a bug in one of her friends dorms. It had landed on her book and she squashed it and it had blood in it. She thinks it was a Bed Bug. Of course, I was irate that she didn't tell me the whole story prior to bringing all her crap in the house! I immediately made her put everything in bags and we took it all out to the garage so I could start heating it all in the dryer and then washing and drying it again. I steamed everything I couldn't put in the dryer. She still was waking up with more bites. I got encasements for all the mattresses in the house and the pillows.
    I have a daughter who is on the autism spectrum and I can not encase her mattress because it is made out of layered Latex and Dunlap and has to be able to breathe. It has a wool encasement on it because she can't sleep on materials with flame retardants on it. I'm freaking out because we can not use pesticides in the house either because of her. She can not detox chemicals!
    My husband and I needed to twist around my oldest daughters encasement on the box springs because we put it on with the wrong sides laying against the metal frame and I was afraid it might tear the material. We unzipped it and twisted it around and I saw this bug on the inside. I put it in a glass jar and of course I'm really freaking out. Now, I'm wondering if she brought them home from college in Dec., and then when she came back that were ravage to eat on her.
    I bought one of those zappbug ovens off ebay and am putting things in it. I threw a couch away the other day because I saw some black spots on it that I didn't know if they were fecal mater or not. I'm steaming everything and heating everything. I'm about to put all her stuff still in her room in plastic bins. I bought some Food Grade DE, and some Cinnamon Spray with DE in it. I'm worried since she left college they are going to come out and go into the kids rooms! I've looked everywhere else and can't see any, but they are so freaking tiny. I'm not sure how people even find them anyway. I picking up any speck I see around the house and magnifying it to see if it is a bug! They are treating her room and her friends dorm room at the college tomorrow.
    I called an exterminator to ask about a bed bug dog sniffer, but he told me they are really only 50 to 60% accurate once they get out in the field working. He said they are only 95% accurate when they first get out of training.
    Please let me know what else you would do and if this is a bed bug I found. I did see those black marks on some of her sheets and mattress. I'm pretty sure they were fecal matter, but I didn't see any visible bugs just looking at the mattress. Her box springs has that material mesh on the bottom so I couldn't actually see up underneath there. I'm throwing her encased mattress and box springs away tomorrow!

Here are the pics and thanks for reading.

Here is the other picture:

2. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 20:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't post both pics on the same one for some reason. Here is the other pic of the other side of it.

bed bug pic 2

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 21:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Nonexperts aren't supposed to ID, but does that picture resemble a bed bug photo to you? I'm not even sure if I see legs or a head, but even if it was a bedbug part...does it look like that.

Now, could you have bedbugs? That's hard to know. You could research passive monitors and other monitoring devices on the FAQ section. Also, look at bedbug blue. I've tested a ton of things I thought were fecal that weren't.

I bumped up the new forum user thread. I have to go soon, but it's horrible to have to worry about this with a child with autism spectrum. You will get some great advice from the pros. I'm just making some suggestions to research since none of the pros are on right now.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 21:08:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for responding! I've been looking through all the photos posted on here and I do not think it looks like the ones that people are saying are bedbugs. I sent the pics to an exterminator and he just called me back and said he did not think it looked like one, but he couldn't tell me 100%. He did say that he had an entimologist in our area tomorrow and he could come and look, but it was going to be costly. My husbands response was, "Is it going to change anything you are already doing?" I mean I'm going to go ahead and dust her room and the electrical sockets with DE. I did not even know about that Bed Bug Blue, but I'm definitely ordering some right now. I could of tested the spots I saw on the couch and could of prevented throwing it out! I will test the spots on her mattress that I saw before getting rid of it. UGH, but that means I have to take the encasement off. I am scared to death! I can do it though! I don't want to take the chance of not knowing and being in fear of them coming in my kids rooms.
    We were going to put together one of those homemade CO2 monitors with the dry ice. I talked to someone from the ZappBug machine and he told me that they are not that reliable though. If you catch one then you know you have them, but if you don't it still doesn't mean you do not have them. I sure wish there was a way to get a definitive "no you don't have them" !

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 21:12:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Again, I'm not an expert, but the issue with dogs is that you have to have the handler FIND the bug in order to confirm. Some experts still recommend it but don't 100% believe unless a bug is found.

Bedbugs will probably harbor in a passive monitor.

Please read the DE information on the FAQs section. If you apply too much, it is a repellent. I'm not an expert, but some PCOs and dog handlers won't come to a house where the DE was applied by a non-professional. For the K9 handlers, they are worried about what even food grade DE could do to their dogs lungs or sense of smell.

I'm hoping an expert will come on soon and tell you to slow down...read the FAQs... I know it's scary but you could make things worse by moving things around, throwing things out, putting DE down, etc.

6. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 21:22:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I haven't put any DE down yet. I did spray the Cinnamon stuff that is supposed to have some DE in it when dried. I've only be encasing, drying, and steaming right now. I plan to pack her stuff up tomorrow. I feel like I'm going at a snails pace with all of this stuff starting last week. I mean something was biting her or the bites she got at college and they were just showing up every morning while she was here because she was itching them. They were definitely the traditional three bite marks in clusters.

Last Spring Break we went to San Antonio to go to Sea World and I felt something bite my ankle. Well, everyone made a fuss that I was paranoid and it was nothing. The next morning I had bites all up my side with the three bite marks. We immediately went to a Target within walking distance because I didn't want to get in my car. We packed everything in thick black trash bags, and bought new clothes. We made everyone shower and put on the new clothes and then spent a day at Sea World and headed back home that night. I wanted to start addressing everything and not waste any time. It ruined our Spring Break, but I was freaking out. I made everyone undress in the garage and go straight to the showers and baths. We took nothing in side the house and I left it out in the garage. I put my purse in the freezer. I bagged up the kids DVR machines and movies from the car and we still haven't got them back out. I heat treated everything and threw away our luggage because I didn't have the ZappBug machine at the time.
    I then started researching and found out just how common they are and that they can be everywhere and anywhere to pick them up. I know I am hyper sensitive about them, but how can you not be. You can end up with an infestation in no time!

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 22:12:26
    #

Login to Send PM

There will be experts on in the morning. The DE and travel FAQs will help a lot. I don't have a busy household but I have some monitoring devices in place and a packtite. If there aren't a lot of unusual items (DE, chemicals, etc) to deter the BBs, they will naturally go to the bed, the sofa, etc. to harbor. By having passive monitors on those sites, you may be able to catch an infestiation early.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Mar 14 2013 22:26:27
    #

Login to Send PM

TAOT is right-- it is best to SLOW DOWN and not start trying to treat your home.
    I would not apply DE at this point.

You need to verify if you actually have bed bugs. Those photos do NOT look like bed bugs and I am sure some experts will confirm this and tell you if they might be something else, tomorrow.

A careful human inspection is a good idea. A dog inspection might be helpful but as TAOT suggested, unless they follow the dog alert with a careful inspection and turn up visual evidence (bed bugs, eggs, cast skins or fecal stains), you don't really have a confirmation. Confirmation is a crucial step before treating.

Some here (EffeCi, bed-bugscouk are two of them) can do a pretty good job of telling you if a photo is fecal, so try posting some pictures of suspected fecal stains.

Passive monitors are a good tool for verification. The FAQs including the FAQ on DE (again, I would NOT treat without confirmation), travel FAQs-- which include info. on not spreading bed bugs, FAQs on getting bed bugs out of your stuff and the useful stuff page may be helpful.

Read now, give the experts time to give you input on the ID, and don't take any drastic steps.

If your daughter has bed bugs at school (which is an "if" -- note the description of one "landing" is a bit strange-- they don't leap or fly), she may not have brought them home. If her friend was the only one whose room was infested, this seems even less likely. Bed bugs hitchhike, but not THAT often. Many people have them for months and don't spread them. So try not to panic.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 13:51:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the great information. I'm just heating stuff in the ZappBug right now, and waiting for the Bedbug fecal tests to get here.

I have also been reading a lot of the FAQs section. We do travel with the ziplock bags now always. I just wished I would of thought before I let my daughter and her boyfriend bring their stuff in the house from college without treating it. I imagine her boyfriend is going to think I am a total wacko when I took his leather coat and put it in a sealed plastic bag in the garage until the left :/ He also got to witness me putting encasements on all his bedding in the guess room. LOL He was attending college though when they had their last outbreak of bedbugs. He is in the dorm now that was infested in 2008. He said he hasn't heard anyone from the dorm this year complain or see anything.

Okay, I found this just now behind my faucet handle on my bathroom sink. It looks similar to the first picture, but doesn't it look like a skin or casting?

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 14:51:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK, big STOP.

Its not bedbugs or bedbug related.

I would immediately stop what you are doing, have a big sigh of relief that its not bedbugs, then have a glass of wine and relax.

I am sure Lou, EffeCi or Paul will shed light on exactly what it is soon enough.

My best suggestion is the second shot is plant (bug or branch shoot) based. The first may be insect but not bedbug. The last ones are again insect but not bedbug.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

PS TAOT always drop me a memo with an ID I seem to have missed inputting if needed, it will alert me to it.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  11. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 15:13:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Wait, I'm supposed to PM Mr. Cain about bug IDs? My stalking has its limits.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 15:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No just if you notice I have missed one.

Half the time I appear to be here I am not. I am OCD about scanning the forum for ID threads (apart from on weekends) and although I don't offer ID via PM or email I hate to miss one on the forum.

David

PS Its not stalking if you get permission

13. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 15:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh, you should really check out David Cain's website. It is VERY informative.

You and I seem to have a lot in common, Ugh, care to join me in Chicago in April to...um...visit Mr. Cain, with permission, of course. AbsolutelyFreaking will be there if at all possible. It could be fun!!!!

14. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 18:16:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much David!!!! I can't drink wine during the day with the kids, but I did have a tall Dr. Pepper The first two pictures are actual the same thing. I just did a top view and then rolled it over for a second view. I'm halting and waiting at this point.

TAOT-I did just go to his website! I'm reading stuff and glad for the information about the Passive Monitors. I think I'm going to get those next to put on the beds.

I would love to go to Chicago, but I rarely get to leave home to even visit family. LOL With are little one on the ASD we do not go anywhere without her. We pretty much have to travel as a whole family everywhere we go...minus the college girl now.

15. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 18:54:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, Ugh, I was just trying to scare David about having another OCD groupie.

The passive monitors keep me somewhat sane. I used all my bedbug blue and need more.

16. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 18:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I gotcha ya! LOL

Do you think the passive monitors are better then getting or making one of the CO2 machines? I wondered if I should be sleeping in her room or if I should put the dogs crate up there. My husband said I would be worried that the dog would spread them around the house then. He's right. I probably would. The dog is not usually allowed upstairs.

I just keep being paranoid that no one is in her bedroom now if there is something up there. I don't want them to hibernate until she comes back home in May! I thought one positive note is that when she is home she always sleeps in until noon. Those buggers should be back in their hiding holes by that time of the day instead of hitch hiking around the house with her. I hope!

17. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 19:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

PM David (he'll be back on Monday) but the bedbug beacon was used by feelinghopelesswiththreekids when her father moved and she did catch some. It can take a week since they are only attracted to C02 when hungry. You do want something like the bedbug beacon there so they don't go searching beyond the room. The passive monitors only work when people are sleeping.

Is the dog hairy, they might not like him or her much but if they are hungry and he has a bald spot...but again PM David or Killer Queen to come back to this thread and look. I'm not an expert.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I do bump threads that seem to need expert discussion (or PM David Cain, Paul Bello, or KillerQueen).

If it makes you feel better, I strip when I come into the house and make my boyfriend do the same. He's OVER that ritual so I moved to passives since if he brings one in..it will make its way to the sofa or bedroom or office area anyway. It's taken me a while to chill out a little little tiny bit after my scare. But we have some good tools now for monitoring.

18. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 19:16:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone used the Nightwatch Bed Bug Trap and Monitor that you know of? I was looking at that one just because it seems really substantial. We do have easy access to dry ice if the home made traps are just as good. I just wondered if it would last all through the night.

I know I need to open the mesh under of box spring mattress, but I so don't want to carry the mattress to the garage or take off the encasement until I get my Bed Bug Blue to test at the same time. Like do you know if they are in the box springs and you take off the mesh are they going to start taking off running all over the garage? I did read that they are fast runners, but all the pics just shows them pretty stationary.

Yes, are dog is very hairy which is why my husband thinks I will be wanting to get rid of the dog next if he sleeps up there. LOL

I'm glad we are not the only garage strippers. It seems like no preventative measure can be to extreme when considering what you have to go through once there is a positive ID.

19. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 19:16:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the link to some success stories from busy moms who were sharing support while they went through this:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/sharing-progress-after-first-treatment-part-2

I know it must be really scary to think about it with an autism spectrum child (did I say that right), but it can be done...even with nonchemical methods if caught early (that's why I have the passives)

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 19:17:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's not bedbugs so an active monitoring strategy is not ideal because it will come back negative.

Yes the sample needs confirming exactly what it is but it's not bedbugs.

Educate, understand and put logical strategies and monitoring in place.

My final note is just careful of the stalkers around here, they will have you dressing in all black with night vision goggles if you are not careful.

David

21. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 19:18:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not familiar with the new Nightwatch...maybe some of the PCOs are. I've used the bedbug beacon before because it is around $40-$50 and the supplies are cheaper. I think people have had good results with it (I've never caught anything).

22. Ugh_Why

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 15 2013 22:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for all your help. I will follow up when I get the Bed Bug Blue and test the spots on her mattress and do a visual test inside her box springs.

I'm so thankful for this site! You guys are all amazing and knowledge is power! I'm still reading and learning and will definitely take all precautions I can for travel and beyond.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams