Is this a bedbug? No, right? [a: right; Laemophloeus]

(5 posts)
  1. funtimes_nyc

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 12 2015 20:55:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, thank you for reading and for any help you can provide. Found this cutie crawling on me in the bathroom after coming home from a restaurant. Not a bedbug, right? What is it?

http://tinypic.com/r/2h7idzp/8

http://tinypic.com/r/k3amhw/8

Based on my brief but fervent research I'm thinking it's not a bedbug because it doesn't have a segmented antenna, nor ridges going across the body. Also it has a double mandible thing (hope you can see it in the photos) and it seems bedbugs have one single proboscis. And I don't think bedbugs have those lovely light spots on their backs, right? And the shape is not the typical squat shape.... Still, I'm freaking out a bit so your input is much appreciated.

Other pertinent info--I have gotten bit a few times in this apartment a couple weeks ago, had an inspection but it turned up no evidence of bedbugs (I'm not sure I trust my landlord's PCO however). There are roaches here, but this doesn't look like any baby roach I've seen.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 13 2015 0:18:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't open your photos.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 13 2015 3:14:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The links worked for me. It's definitely not a bed bug and I believe it's some kind of beetle. Wait to see if an expert can ID it more specifically.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 13 2015 5:14:13
    #

Login to Send PM

funtimes_nyc: Based on my brief but fervent research I'm thinking it's not a bedbug because it doesn't have a segmented antenna, nor ridges going across the body. Also it has a double mandible thing (hope you can see it in the photos) and it seems bedbugs have one single proboscis. And I don't think bedbugs have those lovely light spots on their backs, right? And the shape is not the typical squat shape.... Still, I'm freaking out a bit so your input is much appreciated.
    So for all the reasons you provided, it's not a bed bug, but an example of a beetle and member of family, Laemophloeidae. The beetle here looks like a species of Laemophloeus. The antennae of the beetle are subsegmented but many more than a bed bug has. Correct, mouth parts are very different from the bed bug proboscis. No dots on bed bugs. Body shape different from that of bed bug if either the bed bug has fed or not. Adult and larval lamophloeids live primarily under the bark of trees and feed on fungi. Certain ones have become stored product pests and might be actually feeding on fungi that are in the stored products. Your beetle is from outdoors.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. funtimes_nyc

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 13 2015 8:05:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the replies.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14