Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is this a bed bug? Please help!! [a: carpet beetle cast skin and unclear images]

(4 posts)
  1. robbyjyall

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2014 13:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I just got home from college to find my bed infested with bugs, in the mattress cover and on the mattress. I vacuumed my whole room really well and then called the exterminator for bed bugs. He came the next day, sprayed the mattress, the bed frame, and all over the floor. Since then I've been vacuuming and cauking all the cracks in the drawers under my bed, the windows, and the wall/floor. I've found dead ones in the drawers under my bed, in my wood cd case holder on my table next to my bed, and a live one in my closet. At first I assumed bed bugs (which would be weird since no one is sleeping in my bed when I'm at school) but now I'm thinking it might be something else. I'll include three pictures, a bug I found before the exterminator came, a dead bug I found while cleaning after the exterminator came (or it could be a shell? not too sure), and a live bug I found in my closet after the exterminator came. The pictures aren't that great. I'm kind of thinking carpet beetles because the live one I found in my closet seemed "fury"... they might have infested my bed since I don't have any carpeting in my room, but honestly they're not looking like any bug that I've researched online! Please help

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130232605@N07/15903549867/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/130232605@N07/15901866178/in/photostream/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/130232605@N07/15903210509/in/photostream/

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2014 13:56:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The first image is too fuzzy but is not the typical outline of a bedbug.

The second image is a carpet beetle cast skin which could be the source of any skin reaction. Search the forum there is plenty written about them.

The third image is too out of focus to ID from.

I would say that the exterminator does not appeared to have done their job correctly in that they do not appear to have identified the target species before conducting the treatment. As such it appears you have grounds for a refund.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. robbyjyall

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2014 16:21:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I got a bed bug cover for my mattress, should I take it off? If it's carpet beetles that were on the mattress, the cover would just trap any remaining ones in (like eggs or something).

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 23 2014 17:00:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

First step is to get clearer images and them when we know 100% what it is then it's treat as carpet beetles and we can pick up again.

That way we don't make mistakes at the start.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto