Is this a bed bug? Picture from microscope [a: psocid/book louse]

(11 posts)
  1. JonnyD

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 17:46:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I found a load of these little bugs in the corner of my room under a piece of wood. They're all roughly the same size, about 2mm in length. They don't move very fast.

Here is the picture of one of them caught on a cello tape and magnified under a microscope: http://i.imgur.com/nDzWxA4.jpg

Thanks

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 19:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

No, it is not a bed bug. It appears to be a booklouse/psocid.

See if you can compare it to this photo that was ID'd earlier by the experts:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/pic-id-bb-or-other

I'm not certain it's a psocid . . . but I am certain it is NOT a bed bug!

3. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 19:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not sure if it's a book louse or something else, but I'm pretty sure it's not a bed bug. The head is much too big and the wrong shape for that.

To be certain, wait for an expert opinion though.

4. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 19:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Abs got in there before I saw her post. She's really good too with her ID's, so you can relax and not worry.

5. JonnyD

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 19:31:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys!

It's upside down in the picture due to it being stuck to celo-tape from above so maybe that's what's throwing you off on being certain?

If it is psocid these ones appear to be wingless.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 21:37:14
    #

Login to Send PM

As correctly Abs stated, it is a psocid.

Note that psocids, aka book louse/lice, are wingless critters !

pjb

7. JonnyD

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 22:16:26
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 38 minutes ago  » 
    As correctly Abs stated, it is a psocid.
    pjb

Cheers!

Aren't some of them winged? How did they get into my room in the first place?

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2014 2:24:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, our common species, such as the one pictured in this post, is wingless, but there are some that are found in homes that have wings.

Yes, but the wingless ones are able to crawl in; in fact, they are commonly found in home and they live outdoors. Some of the winged species are called barklice.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. JonnyD

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2014 8:12:09
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 hours ago  » 

Well, our common species, such as the one pictured in this post, is wingless, but there are some that are found in homes that have wings.

Yes, but the wingless ones are able to crawl in; in fact, they are commonly found in home and they live outdoors. Some of the winged species are called barklice.

Do they have swarm intelligence like ant colonies? Do their colonies use epigenetics (for lack of a better word) the same way as ants where ants give birth to more soldiers when there is a threat? For example, would Psocid start growing wings if there are spiders in the area?

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2014 9:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

NO.
    They don't live in colonies exactly, but in aggregations. There is no break down of labor, a caste system like ants and termites, for example.
    Actually ants don't give birth to more soldiers; maybe you mean termites since there are soldiers in their caste system much more than any are in ants. Certain ant species have major and minor workers and in some there is a sort of soldier (a major worker) where the head is enlarged to fit holes in the tunnels at the exits/entrances and that way there is a live door.

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2014 15:49:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou is correct as per usual !

While we see psocids indoors commonly in humid & moist areas, the winged type psocids live outdoors.

I've never encountered them indoors at any account working as a pest pro these many years.

Thanks Lou !

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,704 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323