(9 posts)
  1. anna13

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2011 9:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello guys,

I would really need help: Two friends of mine got weird bites which were diagnosed as bed bug bites. We recently went on a trip together and stayed in the same room, so now I'm afraid that I got them, too. This morning I found two dead insects close to my bed and now I'm panicing about it.

Can you tell me if they're bed bugs? Here's a pic: http://tinypic.com/r/j8jkvc/7

THANKS!

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2011 9:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It's from the same family of silverfish... probably Ctenolepisma sp.

3. anna13

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2011 9:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for the quick answer!

so its not a bed bug? can it cause me any harm?

4. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2011 12:04:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't worry, silverfish are harmless (especially dead ones!). It isn't possible to diagnose bedbugs from the bites. This is because reactions to bedbug bites are so variable between people, and they are indistinguishable from other bites and skin reactions.

5. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 17 2011 2:42:54
    #

Login to Send PM

No, it's not a firebrat (Thermobia domestica), it's a Ctenolepisma (probably C.lineata).
    Ctenolepisma doesn't need high temperatures like Thermobia or high humidity like Lepisma.

A "removal guide" is completely unnecessary, because Tysanura are highly sensitive to pesticides, and a simple spray of vegetal pyretrum is enough to kill them in seconds.
    Oh, and your post looks like spam....

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 17 2011 5:32:28
    #

Login to Send PM

The site about removing silverfish is filled with inaccuracies. They don't jump 2 feet into the air, for starters. I guess the way to get rid of them is to him them with the guide you are selling?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 17 2011 8:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I had to look and see if he was pushing something. Yep. LOL from his website about the book he sells.....

Unfortunately, there are a "few" unscrupulous hucksters who are taking advantage of people's fear and panic by offering hyped-up products and services that turn out to be ineffective or sub-standard.

Ya can't make stuff like this up.

While a true statement, cause we have had so many spam the board, coming from a spammer it is priceless.

Jim

8. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 17 2011 14:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 11 hours ago  » 
    ... Tysanura ... pyretrum ...

Should be Thysanura and pyrethrum, no?

EffeCi I see you're from Italy so perhaps that's how those are spelled in italiano? Anyway I wanted to point out these corrections since there had been criticism of that other poster's site for inaccuracies.

9. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 17 2011 14:09:52
    #

Login to Send PM

You're right, of course, that's because I was just awaken...

Thysanura and Pyrethrum are both latin words, I simply mispelled... thanks again...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie