Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is this a bed bug casing? (High res photos)

(7 posts)
  1. tegar

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Fri Jul 13 2018 18:54:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been getting mysterious teeny tiny puncture dots on my arms, including 3 in a straight line, within the last month. No itching or swelling or welts. But I've been suspicious and haven't found any bugs--but I checked underneath my box spring and found a few clusters of 2-3 bug casings. I only got a good quality pic of one - the rest were so fragile they blew away or crumbled when I tried to pull them off or move them for better lighting.

So far my roommate hasn't noticed any unusual bites but she is always getting bitten so she hasn't been keeping an eye on new ones.

I may have squished this casing slightly to get it into good lighting...

Here's a link if these don't work: https://imgur.com/a/1J2eRcS

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 day ago
    Fri Jul 13 2018 20:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Cast skin of the larval carpe5 beetle, a common mix up.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. tegar

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Fri Jul 13 2018 21:04:12
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 48 minutes ago  » 
    Cast skin of the larval carpe5 beetle, a common mix up.

Thanks so much for your response. My PCO saw the same pics and said it was DEFINITELY bed bugs. Any advice for how to proceed? He's coming by on Tuesday. Should I buy a trap?

4. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 8:54:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Get a different PCO if he or she thinks that that's a bed bug. Keep monitoring for bed bugs just in case. I think everyone should always monitor regardless of signs.

Current fighter of bed bugs, survivor of one previous bout of bed bugs, and ironically enough I'm the IPM manager where I work.
  5. tegar

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 8:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

mannrw61 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Get a different PCO if he or she thinks that that's a bed bug. Keep monitoring for bed bugs just in case. I think everyone should always monitor regardless of signs.

Thanks. But do you think finding these casings in the box spring is normal or anything to worry about? Why would they be there?

I think I'll ditch this company and have another PCO come out just for an inspection. Obviously just worried that I will wait too long and have an even bigger problem.

6. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 11:43:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I have personally seen carpet beetles in bedding and under a mattress before. I dont know if it's necessarily normal, but it's not unheard of.

7. tegar

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 12:52:45
    #

Login to Send PM

mannrw61 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have personally seen carpet beetles in bedding and under a mattress before. I dont know if it's necessarily normal, but it's not unheard of.

I did more inspecting and found a carpet beetle in the box spring plus a few more larvae shells. Phew! I'm still going to keep an eye out for bed bugs but I hope this is the worst of the problem.

I'm really grateful for your help. I would have paid $850 for a treatment had I not posted here first, and I was so convinced they were bed bugs! 😑

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,892 posts in 45,388 topics over 138 months by 19,944 of 20,704 members. Latest: davebentonn, Therseld1931@armyspy.com, Chivabug