Is This a Bed Bug?

(4 posts)
  1. phoenixtears

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2012 3:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I was reading in bed and found this sucker crawling across my chest. I pinched it between my thumb and forefinger and headed to the bathroom so that I could watch it right before killing it (not in a sadistic way, but to see it's movements).

It didn't try to fly away or leap, so I don't think it has wings or is a flea.

I did end up killing it by pressing it within some tissue paper. Now it's sitting on the paper in a small plastic baggie.

Sorry for the blurriness of the photos. It's still in the bag. Can anyone help me get some piece of mind? I'm having a very hard time going back into my bed.

http://tinypic.com/r/2dt2hog/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2luuteb/5

2. phoenixtears

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2012 4:09:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to explain further, I have examined my bed and my body. I can't find any other bugs (not that I would have expected to since most bugs are very good at hiding), but I also don't see any sort of brown or red streaks.

I have yet to find any bites on my body, though I've heard that not all skin reacts to bed bug bits. My roommate is asleep, so I have yet to strip the bed fully, but last time I changed my sheets I saw no evidence of any damage to the mattress.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2012 5:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am pretty sure this is not a bedbug although its not clear enough to be certain what it is I strongly suspect an adult carpet beetle.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2012 10:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Have to agree with DC - missing the front part of the body, but looks like carpet beetle adult if anything.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls