(6 posts)
  1. scaredrosy

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 20:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

My husband and I have been waking up with bites. Mine don't really itch, but my husband itches pretty badly. I decided to call my landlord today to ask if the building had had any problems with bedbugs. I live in a very large and new apartment complex. The assistant manager said they hadn't and ask me if I'd seen one. I told her I hadn't, so she told me to look in the folds of the mattress. I found one! I think, anyway. Pest control is coming tomorrow morning, but I was hoping someone could tell me if this is a bedbug.

Thank you!

2. scaredrosy

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 20:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's a link to the pic in case it doesn't show up in the OP. Thanks again!

https://flic.kr/p/26C5xac

3. MuddaFrigginBedBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 0:44:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Certainly looks like one.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 8:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, female bed bug. So now building has to figure out which apartments are infested - Adjoining yours if you had one crawl in.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. scaredrosy

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 23:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the responses. Another question: Are there multiple females in a group of bedbugs? The reason I ask is that I know some animals have a "queen" where everyone else comes from.

We spoke to management and, according to them, we're the only unit who has complained about bed bugs. We have to pay for the extermination. I checked the law in my area, and they are correct. If only one unit has a problem, then the management company is not responsible for the pest control cost.

The pest control company came by, and I am glad I took a picture of the bed and the marks on our sheets. He was trying to blame my indoor cat's fleas. She doesn't have fleas. Anyway, our mattress looked pretty clean so he thinks we caught it early.

We bought mattress and box spring covers specifically for bedbugs. When we saw the head of our mattress, we found one bug and a bit of what looked like feces, but it wasn't terrible. Then we moved the box spring. And there they were! Still not a ton, but more.

So now we're preparing for pest control to come on Monday. Fun times!

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 10 2018 8:05:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug populations aren't social insects like ants, termites, certain wasps and bees, so there is no queen bed bug.
    Just because you complained about bed bugs doesn't mean that you are the only one with them. Many people don't realize there is an infestation. Many don't react to having been bitten. Many don't want to report it. Treat on their own and cause bed bugs to crawl around and get into adjoining apartments. Does that exterminator work for the building? How many apartments are in the building?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,789 posts in 45,873 topics over 139 months by 20,200 of 21,005 members. Latest: Bed-Bug-Beyond, Greg7707, Krogerss