(9 posts)
  1. Snurresprattb

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 6:13:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I was renting an apartment in Kiev. After one week I say an insect crawling on the wall in the kitchen. Then I started looking around, and found another one, dead by the window, and a third one crawling on the window. The seemed to have a line in the middle of their body, as to indicate that they had wings. Though, when I moved a piece of paper close to one of them, it did not fly or anything. I also found black marks on an outlet. Since the bed was dark green, more of a sofa than a bed, I had difficulties identifying anything on the bed. I got red marks after sleeping in the bed, but I saw a mosquito so that might be mosquito bites. So: do you think this might have been a bed bug? Very grateful for help!!!

[img][/img]

[img=http://s18.postimg.org/p32uvfxn9/IMG_20150413_190052.jpg]

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 6:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can you post a link to high resolution images at a photo hosting site like Flickr. This might be helpful:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/test-13

(One very good example of linked photos can be found in a current thread titled
    "Reading Bed Bug Blue results: experts please help!!! "

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/is-this-a-bed-bug-143#post-221855

Richard

3. Snurresprattb

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 7:15:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, now it should work!

IMG_20150413_184419 by jonruson, on Flickr

IMG_20150413_182936 by jonruson, on Flickr

IMG_20150413_190052 by jonruson, on Flickr

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 7:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Much better. An expert should come by later for an ID.

Richard

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 7:30:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its clearly a beetle and not a bedbug.

The body shape is different from bedbugs, I have embedded an image below so you can compare and contrast:

Slide12 by bedbugscouk, on Flickr

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 10:26:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like it could be a dermestid beetle, something like a black carpet beetle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 10:47:29
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs -  » 
    Looks like it could be a dermestid beetle, something like a black carpet beetle.

Mr. Sorkin, sir, it appears the OP posted two different pests (at least that's what it looks like to me) . . . are they both potentially a black carpet beetle?

BUG 1 - BUG 2 by picture account2012, on Flickr

8. Snurresprattb

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 13:22:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

Thank you so much for answering! I am relieved to hear that they are not bed bugs. This is a certainty, as I take it?

If they are dermestid beetles - does this make them as big a risk to carry with me from the apartment as would bed bugs? I mean, do I have to take the same precautions as I would in the case of bed bugs?

Sorry for not being clear enough. Yes, these are two different bugs. One of them alive, the other found dead close to the window. From what I could tell, they seemed to be of the same kind however. Though I am not sure.

Thanks again for answering and taking time!!!:)

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 15 2015 15:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Mr. Sorkin, sir, it appears the OP posted two different pests (at least that's what it looks like to me) . . . are they both potentially a black carpet beetle?
    Yes, I know. Male dermestids often have distal segments of their antennae elongated like the image on right; one on left has shortened segments. Not sure of species, but I thought something like the black carpet beetle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,190 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92