Is this a bed bug???

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 10:27:29
    #

Login to Send PM

That is not a bed bug.
    I believe it is the larval form of a carpet beetle, Lou or Abs can confirm on the ID.

3. ambfrk

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 10:33:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I will wait for confirmation.

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 10:40:47
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL! Rats BD . . . you stole my thunder . . . I was just getting ready to post on that!!

Dear ambfrk,

It is absolutely NOT a bed bug . . .

Although the photo is a little blurry, it appears to be the dorsal view of a carpet beetle larva. However -- because the photo is blurry -- I cannot distinguish at this time the actual species of said carpet beetle larva. Nevertheless, I will state that it does not appear to be the varied carpet beetle Anthrenus verbasci (which seems to be the most popular on the site) . . . and I will leave it to the Amazing Professor Lou Sorkin to determine the species.

(Grade Lou????)

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 10:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Nevertheless, I will state that it does not appear to be the varied carpet beetle Anthrenus verbasci (which seems to be the most popular on the site) . . .

Agreed. I don't know if these insects are considered popular with the people who find them! True, a very common species found in homes.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. ambfrk

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 11:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the replies. Aren't carpet beetles just as bad as bed bugs? I have had bites, could they cause that as well? Noone else in my home seems to have been effected by them. I saw a couple on mattress like creases. Is that common as well? Sorry for all the questions but we were about to have treatment for bed bugs and I really want to make sure we treat properly and get rid of whateve it is. This site has been wonderful (ly scary)!
    Thank you!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 12:10:13
    #

Login to Send PM

ambfrk - 53 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you for all the replies. Aren't carpet beetles just as bad as bed bugs?

They could cause your skin reactions. Everyone isn't allergic to them.

That said, I think most would agree they're not as bad a problem as bed bugs. A pest control professional should be able to help eliminate them.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. ambfrk

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 22 2014 18:16:51
    #

Login to Send PM

So you all do not think it is the varied carpet beetle? That is the one it seems to look most alike to me.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,433 members. Latest: PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46, esedndwi