Is this a bed bug? [a: carpet beetle]

(8 posts)
  1. pleasenotbebugz1988

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 2:33:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I really appreciate this website. Thank you for putting all of these resources together. I'm having problems figuring out if the attached pictures are of a bed bug.

Here is the story. I flew to San Diego from Northern California to go to a conference as well as to visit my sick mother from January 23rd through the 27th. My brother who lives nearby and volunteered to shuttle me to and from the airport had recently had a bedbug infestation in his condo that he got from hosting some travelers from AirBNB. I warned him not to do it but he did anyway. He thought he had gotten rid of the infestation and had thrown out most of his furniture. Anyway, my bag was in the trunk of his car when he picked me up. We unfortunately (or fortunately) got into a fight that weekend and although I was supposed to I did not stay at his place at all, however my bag did sit in his trunk and he left my bag outside of his place in his enclosed patio where I picked it up. I stayed with my parents who have never experienced a bite or have had any signs of bed bugs. The Sunday before I left, my brother and I resolved our fight and I stayed with him at his girlfriend's place. His girlfriend is a nurse and works nights so we had the place to ourselves. I slept on the air mattress. He swears she has never had bed bugs in her place and that she has never been bitten once. I'm thinking that she could possibly be immune to bites.

Anyway the week I got back, I got quite a few bites (or what seem like bites) during the week and so did my partner whom I sleep with. The bites came in threes or fours bunched together and were on my left knee right thigh and right inner elbow. I freaked out that same week, called in sick, through out an incredible amount of clutter, put in the climb ups on each leg of my bed (I have a metal frame), covered my mattress and box spring, and sprayed this cinnamon bed bug killer stuff I bought at bed bath and beyond everywhere and vacuumed everywhere. I also washed all my clothes and bought one one of those bed bug baker boxes. I have been using the bed bug baker box to bake my luggage and clothes before I travel. I keep the luggage in the baked bag until I am ready to leave out the door. I am so nervous about spreading these pests!

The bites seemed to start to go away on both myself and my partner and I kept baking my clothes. We baked everything before we went back down to Southern California this past weeked to visit my mom again. Anyway, I stayed with my dad (they're separated) and he has no connection to this bug situation (him and my brother don't really talk). I am confident that we baked our luggage correctly but am nervous the clothes I was wearing out the door and onto the airplane had a bug on them because I feel like I got new bites on my foot and outer calf. My partner who traveled with me claims he got no new bits. However, I also think that my skin might be getting to dry because I have been excessively showering since this whole ordeal started.

Well I get back today from our trip and come home and find in one of the climb ups the bug in the pictures below! The bug was not there before we left, I checked. It was on the outside well. However, I am not sure if this is a bedbug. The colors aren't very accurate, the surface is actually a green color. It kinda looks like it might have a wing. I sent a picture to my brother of it today, the first time I accused him of giving me bed bugs and he claims that it doesn't look like the bugs he had. I live in an older apartment with kinda gross (not dirty just old) gray carpet, and if I do have bedbugs I have no idea how I'm going to get rid of these things! I am not in a financial position to move and I need to figure out if I should tell my landlady. This is the first evidence I have ever had.

Thank you so much for your help and advice I really appreciate it!

2. pleasenotbebugz1988

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 2:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Also this thing is about the size of an apple seed maybe a little smaller, and I found it dead.

3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 2:52:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Absolutely 100% NOT a bedbug ! Its a beetle of some type.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 8:12:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Please,

I'm not an expert nor do I play one on TV, but I can tell you with certainty, it's not a bed bug.

I'm sure an expert will be along soon, to give you a "definite" ID...(I'm pretty certain I *know* what it is, but I'll leave the ID'ing to the experts).

This may be of help (especially, the part about carpet beetles):

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 13:32:39
    #

Login to Send PM

carpet beetle. looks like a species of Anthrenus.

it has wing covers and membranous wings so definitely not a bed bug. has scales on body, actually scale-like setae (hairs).

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 20:32:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs is an expert entomologist. It's a carpet beetle.

Just a word of advice to get the experts to read a long post, just keep to the facts that are relevant about the bugs. To be honest, my family sounds like your family :), but the experts are pretty busy. You were potentially exposed.

Good luck. I hope you did NOT bring back anything. Hope I didn't sound too harsh, it's just that the experts prefer a shorter read.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. pleasenotbebugz1988

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 21:50:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for the identification! I will keep monitoring the situation with the climb ups and be vigilant. @theyareoutthere not at all, I understand, will keep it more brief. Just was kinda in a panic. The marks (I don't know if they are bites) I have seem to be subsiding. If they continue I will go to the doctor. This site is great!

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2014 21:55:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a similar experience to yours, and ended up not having them.

Thanks for not being offended. I just sometimes see people really want an expert to weigh in and most of the experts like "just the facts".

Some experts say that carpet beetles can cause skin reactions. So can allergies, stress, etc. So, I'm hoping you are all clear! If your partner travels, it will be important to have some "tools" in place to monitor...so, I'm really hoping it is just a scare this time. Best of luck to you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45