Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is there any rule of thumb for BB bite reaction changes?

(3 posts)
  1. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 24 2015 2:41:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I know there is no right answer and no perfect science. But I was wondering if my 3 year old can all of a sudden stop reacting to bites. She was the initial reason we started looking for bed bugs because she used to get big red welts. She hasnt gotten those in 2 months but sometimes she does get much smaller bumps which I cant make out is because of bed bugs or not. Is she still reacts and because we havent seen a bite in two months, then we must be in a good space. However there is no way for us to find out. Its very difficult to look for bedbugs because of ablack metal frame that has many holes and that was just bought by me. I think I may just throw this frame as well.

But any word at all at the bites

2. Kimsy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 24 2015 7:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope someone answers because I'm curious as well.

I know what you mean by taking apart the metal frame. How in the world would we know if there were any bedbugs inside deep in one of the holes?

I would just assume though that it's not necessarily important to know if they're in the holes ( if they even do go there) because no matter where they are, you would still find fecal matter on the mattress or boxspring for confirmation.

Let's hope someone with expertise answers.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 24 2015 20:02:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I've never heard of anyone reacting and then not reacting. I have been feeding them for over 25 years and I still get some type of reaction. The single bites still form a bump and then about an hour later it subsides: a small, red mark remains for a few hours or day. My reactions never were extremely bad (swelling and redness did occur) and basically didn't itch.
    Use a simple harborage monitor like small squares of corrugated cardboard, fan-folded paper, folded over non-white (and not dark) washcloths (can rub on your person first), and used socks. Just unfold and look for bugs/droppings/shed skins, eggs.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993