Is the apartment safe to return to?

(6 posts)
  1. theinconspicuousraccoon

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 22:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Me, my SO & my two children recently moved into an apartment that was infested with bed bugs. Me & my two children moved out immediately upon discovering the bugs because I wasn't going to risk them being bit. I had already been bitten at that point. Luckily, they had not. The landlord had an exterminator come and spray the apartment. The next day we found 10+ live bed bugs. The landlord had the exterminator come & spray again, this time getting the downstairs apartment (the source of the bed bugs). It has now been two days and my SO claims to have not seen any live bugs since then.

What precautions should I take before even considering moving my children back in? Should I dispose of the furniture that we had moved in (couches, mattresses, etc.)?

omfg.
  2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 22:37:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Speak with your landlord and ask for the information sheet on the product(s) used by the exterminator. Ask if a residual was applied, this may help with any stragglers that were missed during treatment.
    Do not throw away your furniture, they can and should be cleared of bed bugs as opposed to just tossing them out.
    You may want to buy a few passive monitors to place on items like your beds and couch. These monitors can be periodically checked (weekly or so) to alert you of any re-infestation from neighboring units.

3. theinconspicuousraccoon

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 22:52:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! Where can I buy the monitors at? Like a hardware store?

I'm not entirely sure they will supply that info but I will definitely request it. From what I understand the exterminator was some random dude in a truck with the headlights shot out.

4. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 23:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Since you moved into a place that was infested, can your landlord play to have mattress and box spring covers out on?? He has the legal right to provide you with a bb free apartment, before you moved in.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  5. theinconspicuousraccoon

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 23:46:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Our landlord is a nightmare. When we initially called about the bed bugs she told me that there was "no possibility" that the bed bugs were coming from the downstairs apartment and that bed bugs "do not work like that". She was, of course, very wrong. It's been like pulling teeth to get her to do the bare minimum, let alone anything more.

I don't have money for a lawyer or I would have one.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 11 2014 10:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

theinconspicuousraccoon - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thank you! Where can I buy the monitors at? Like a hardware store?
    I'm not entirely sure they will supply that info but I will definitely request it. From what I understand the exterminator was some random dude in a truck with the headlights shot out.

You can check the links on the side of this page, over there --------->
    for passive monitors, climb-ups and similar products.
    By law you must be provided with the MSDS information sheet on any chemicals used in your apartment.
    The headlights being shot out is okay, if the taillights were shot out it would indicate that he was running away from an unhappy customer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,321 posts in 46,772 topics over 142 months by 20,637 of 21,521 members. Latest: cafeidon, bmccabe, Anon_StillTheyCome