Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is talc dangerous? Is baby powder an ok substitute for ClimbUps?

(6 posts)
  1. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Apr 7 2016 0:36:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I'm still trying to determine if we have bedbugs. (I've posted my history at the bottom if you're curious.)

I put ClimbUps on the bed legs 10 days ago, and no bugs so far.

It's nearing time to clean them, and I'm wondering about talc vs baby powder. Just did a search for talc and talcum powder, and the headlines about it are alarming.

Can I use baby powder instead? Or is it really better to go with talc/talcum powder?

Thanks.

History:
    1st week: Clusters of itchy welts every 2-3 days, on legs and hip. No evidence of bugs or skins on bed, one suspicious fecal spot on sheets but couldn't be confirmed. Bed has no box spring, just a memory foam mattress on a wooden bedframe with slats (no drawers).

2nd week: Installed ClimbUps on bed. Went out of town. Husband slept in bed. (He has never gotten bites.)

3rd week: Bed's ClimbUps have been empty for 10 days now. Bed sheets look clear. I've been home for three nights since my trip, and just found an itchy welt on my hip, sigh.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Apr 7 2016 7:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't use climb ups all that much, but medicated powder or corn starch would also work.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Apr 7 2016 7:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm no expert but check your couch also removing the dust cover from the bottom. Another place to check is the computer chair if you have one

4. moenine9

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Apr 7 2016 10:57:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I use the Walgreens baby powder that has talc in it. So far no bed bugs but have caught spiders and ants in it so im assuming it's working with baby powder

5. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Apr 7 2016 11:56:46
    #

Login to Send PM

So the climbups are working but you still need to search to find the origin of the bites unless they have stopped

6. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Apr 7 2016 13:25:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks all.

@frightened: I'm curious why you suggest checking the couch? I've wondered why my suspicious bites seem to be limited to calves and two spots along my waistband, when I don't wear pants to bed.

Wouldn't bedbugs prefer to take up residence in a bed instead of a couch?

I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment with no walls (except for the bathroom), basically one large open room. The bedroom is on a balcony that overlooks the rest of the apartment, so the bedbugs wouldn't have difficulty navigating to the bedroom, I think? Though I don't really know anything about bedbug lifestyle choices.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs