Will non-heat treatment suffice?

(7 posts)
  1. Bbplagued

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 28 2018 7:20:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe our infestation is on the large side. They are in my room, husband's room, highly suspect in my mother's room. And, I found one in between cushions on sofa. Oh yeah, I found a couple dead ones in the bathroom.

I feel like the dirtiest person! This is so humiliating to me, and I can not share this news with anyone. I have confided in my sisters. Of course, my one sister does not want to come to my house, nor do I want her here. I do not want anyone here for fear of spreading these. I am even concerned that I could be spreading them around when I go out. Even worried when I go to church. My clothes are bagged up after drying. I always change clothes before leaving house. I take all necessary precautions, but I still fear that I have missed an egg or something. I fear that they may be in car that is not treated. I have been spraying in there, but not religiously. I have gone over the edge with these critters. I will need some serious therapy when done with all of this. For now,, I am too busy trying to prep for PCO. Also, paranoid of spreading the cooties out there, in spite of all my precautions.

This is my mother's home. My husband and I moved in about 7 years ago to care for her. She had cancer and now has mixed dementia that seems to be advancing to the next stage. (late) Her mobility is quite limited. This house is 90 years old. Needs new windows, and there is so much work that needs to be done.

I have a PCO coming on Tues. He does not use heat. He said that he uses non-toxic chemicals and steam. He will come two weeks later, and then two weeks after that. He told me there is no magic wand to these. I do realize that we need to make sure to take precautions after treatment. I have no problem with doing all that we have to do, but my husband on the other hand may not be so compliant. In fact, he did not want me to call for help. He said, that everyone has bugs, and I got them under control with exception of few stragglers. He has no clue!!! I most likely made problem worse. I threw out bed, moved to another room, and critters were on sofa and I did not notice before. Or, they followed me down here. I was down here for two weeks, before I learned that was a very bad move.

I fear that spray and steam may not be the best method for us. I think this infestation may need a heat treatment. However, since tis is an older home with many cracks at crevices of windows, maybe not the best treatment.

My husband and daughter believe that I have gone over the edge. Perhaps, but with good reason. I am paranoid with good reason. They do not take this serious enough. I am fairly certain that my daughter must have brought my guests home with her. I told her that I love her, but wish she would stay away until we are treated. She tells me that she and my gs change as soon as they get home. Knowing my daughter, I find that hard to believe.

Okay, after this novel of my life story, my question is this - Will spray work good enough? My PCO says that he has found that this method works better than the heat. From what I have read that heat gets them the best and the quickest. I am re-thinking this now. But, OTOH, this house may not be the best option for heat due to windows.

2. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 28 2018 12:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I understand, older houses can be difficult, or maybe even impossible to treat properly with heat. It's also VERY expensive, and rarely comes with a guarantee. Your PCO likely knows best. I'd go with the treatment that he is recommending, and only if that fails should you consider heat treatment. I've read SO many stories of failed heat treatment. I don't think I'd ever use it personally. It's nice to think that we could just leave for a few hours and come back to a totally bug free home...but I think that's rarely the case. My trust is definitely with the chemicals.

Have your daughter and grandson bring a spare change of clothes over. Wash/dry on hot and put them in a ziplock bag. Have them change right before they leave, and keep the clothing they had on. (wash/dry on hot and stick those in the bag for next time) You're very fortunate that your family is still visiting. Isolating yourself for too long isn't good. I understand the fear though. Hopefully knowing they leave in clean clothing will help put your mind at ease.

3. Bbplagued

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 28 2018 17:28:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Bugsareicky. That puts my mind at ease a bit. I know the heat treatment was the most expensive. I just hope my husband will follow the instructions, so we can rid of these permanently. I know that we will not be out of the woods for quite awhile. They had on the news the other night a segment about bedbugs in the area.

I am so glad that I came across this forum. I wish that I would have found it sooner. I would have saved a bed, and would not have invited them downstairs with me. Oh well, live and learn. And, I have learned so much this past week.

4. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 28 2018 22:55:30
    #

Login to Send PM

If it makes you feel any better, my first reaction was the same.
    I was getting bit on the couch (had been sleeping there every night due to stitches) and when I saw the first bug, I immediately dragged the couch outside (with hubby's help). I think most people react by getting it out of the house, unless they happen to have a ton of poison sitting around.

5. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 29 2018 9:18:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I would ask the PCO what chemicals will be used.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 29 2018 18:52:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually, some very good PCOs use steam followed by sprays and dusts. I would not assume this treatment will not work. Heat can work but isn't a silver bullet that some portray it to be. Heat providers often back up their work with sprays for this reason. Bed bug treatment is more about knowledge and skills and less about treatment modality.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Bbplagued

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 29 2018 20:27:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I do feel better about this now. This PCO has an award from Angie's List. His price seems quite reasonable, and he has some really good reviews. He did tell me that the treatment is not a magic wand. I understand that to mean we have to maintain and follow his instructions.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,416 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson