Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Is my treatment plan a good one for an apartment?

(9 posts)
  1. bugmefool

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 15:21:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a 4 apartment building which is 2 floors with 2 apts each and a basement and an attic. Recently found out that the apartment below me has bed bugs, positively id'd. I have never seen them in my apartment since moving in here in March, and believe me I looked and know what to look for in beds and couch - nothing. local POC said, that they could stay only in bottom apartment as long as there is food readily available to them. Well, those tenants have recently got up and moved out leaving EVERYTHING behind due to those bedbugs. Now, knowing those bugs will be looking for fresh meat, I have been connecting with my landlord on a regular basis to get professional treatment in here, now he has.
    Ok, now the POC has came in and inspected 3 of the 4 apartments and concluded the only active infestation is downstairs in apt below me as I stated. He told me a quote and recommended a treatment plan of 1 perimeter spray treatment on mine and the other 2 non-active pest apts and 3 perimeter sprays (spread out over so many days in between) for infected apt below mine. Well, just a couple hours after this POC guy inspected our place, my granddaughter was playing in my daughter's bedroom and came out telling me of a wierd bug she found and I was like "OH... let me see...." Well, I played it off to her but I saved it as it was a bedbug. I then called the POC company back and told them I saw one in my apartment as well as landlord so that any necessary adjustments could be made to the treatment plan. Either there was a disconnect or they felt the original plan was sufficient, and I am very sure money played a huge part as well, the original treatment of 1 spray for my apartment is what they stuck with. and if it means anything, I have never seen another live (or dead) bedbug in my apt anywhere before or since seeing that one my granddaughter found. I know what I am looking for and where to look, and look I am always doing.

They did the 1st spray (only spray for mine and other two non-active bedbug apts) a couple days ago.
    Questions I have:

1. I dusted DE behind every switchplate and electrical outlet plate in my apt, then I sealed them all the way with caulking afterward. I found out that DE may not be as effective as previously thought so would it be beneficial to remove faceplates and redust all of them with Cimexa? Do I have to somehow remove the DE before putting Cimexa dust in each one? Also do i dust around the perimeter baseboard with Cimexa?

2. I made interceptors for the two beds, should I lightly dust the "trap" area of the interceptors with Cimexa? I heard they give off some kind of warning and I am not sure if it is better for them to just be trapped in that area alive (after dusting the sides with talcum powder so that they are truly trapped) or to help them die with a cimexa dust. Also, should I lightly dust around the interceptors and legs of the couch and beds?

3. can I prevent bedbugs from climbing up legs of furniture (aside from interceptors) using duct tape wrapped around but rolled so that it is all sticky side out? Is a glob of vaseline around it better? also, does the this warning pherenome (sp?) come into play on this?

4. this place, when I am finished, I think could be very well sealed up. For the vents, I think I could make an impassable barrier around the vent part (I caulked around the cover itself leaving just the open vents themselves to worry about). I am wondering if I am wasting my time. Would it be worth landlords time if I sealed up the downstairs apt that has been treated 1st of 3 times like I sealed up my apt up here as well as Cimexa dusted behind plates and around perimeter of apt? i am thinking that should wait until all three sprays are done in that apartment.

5. Landlord was openly wondering whether he should dust DE (I am going to suggest Cimexa and show him the studies I have seen) or if he needs to have POC come in and spray everytimg a tenant leaves and before he rerents the apts as a precaution everytime. This is after this POC treatment in which I am sure he believes will make this place bedbug-free. what is the best preventative measure a landlord should take in between tenants to prevent future infestations? Will sealing up the place like I stated, be a good idea for this to be more effective?

6. Finally, I was thinking of drilling a 1/2 in. hole every 16 inches (between each support) along most walls in the house especially the bedrooms atleast and then using a bellow duster dust in some Cimexa in each one, then of course patching it up and touchup paint each one. I was considering this in my apt as a preventative measure but also would be willing to do it in downstairs apt as it would probably get to the bedbugs that are hiding down there in the walls (and which may never come out to walk over the POC residual treatment due to no one living there at the moment). Is this EXTREME overkill (I REALLY dont want these things so a little overkill is not too much) and unnecessary?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 16:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Extreme overkill. If you wanted to apply Cimexa to the outlets you could. I think you're actually wasting your time. The vaseline on the legs is also a waste of time. A good monitoring system is all you need. Talc is all that's needed for the interceptors. I do multi unit buildings and I've dusted one electrical outlet in the past four years.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 18:39:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I should also point out that once bed bugs grow very numerous in any apartment, they will often spread to other apartments anyways. Had the other tenants stayed downstairs, those bugs would still have found you once the problem got bad enough.

Trust me, I know. The guys upstairs two years ago (they are still there) had bed bugs and didn't realize it, because they didn't react to bites. They spread to my apartment. I did react. Badly! Hence it didn't take me long to figure out what was going on and alert the landlord. I'm just glad that everyone cooperated with each other, we have a good landlord, and he hired a very good CPO so the issue was resolved fairly quickly.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  4. bugmefool

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 18:50:32
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 1 hour ago  » 
    Extreme overkill. If you wanted to apply Cimexa to the outlets you could. I think you're actually wasting your time. The vaseline on the legs is also a waste of time. A good monitoring system is all you need. Talc is all that's needed for the interceptors. I do multi unit buildings and I've dusted one electrical outlet in the past four years.

monitoring system? that is only to see whether and where they are, but what about killing them? cimexa around the perimeter is good then?

5. bugmefool

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 18:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsUpInFlames - 11 minutes ago  » 
    I should also point out that once bed bugs grow very numerous in any apartment, they will often spread to other apartments anyways. Had the other tenants stayed downstairs, those bugs would still have found you once the problem got bad enough.
    Trust me, I know. The guys upstairs two years ago (they are still there) had bed bugs and didn't realize it, because they didn't react to bites. They spread to my apartment. I did react. Badly! Hence it didn't take me long to figure out what was going on and alert the landlord. I'm just glad that everyone cooperated with each other, we have a good landlord, and he hired a very good CPO so the issue was resolved fairly quickly.

yeah, landlord seems to be proactive, but is very ignorant in knowledge of how to handle and combat bedbugs. Wanted us to do all the spraying and whatnot, but we got him to pay a CPO. Now, as far as the how good they are??? they sprayed the perimeter, thats it. only thing they told us was to get out for an hour, thas it.

6. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2016 22:22:33
    #

Login to Send PM

bugmefool - 3 hours ago  » 

BugsUpInFlames - 11 minutes ago  » 

yeah, landlord seems to be proactive, but is very ignorant in knowledge of how to handle and combat bedbugs. Wanted us to do all the spraying and whatnot, but we got him to pay a CPO. Now, as far as the how good they are??? they sprayed the perimeter, thats it. only thing they told us was to get out for an hour, thas it.

Two years ago, one of the three apartments here was still uninfested. It still got a full treatment, and I don't mean just a few squirts of pesticide. They didn't have to use steam anywhere unlike in here and upstairs, but they did lay down a complex barrier system and treated all possible cracks and crevices to make sure the bugs did not flee to the final apartment. They really did a good job, but treating the apartment house literally took them all day.

7. Meowgoesthecat

Account suspended

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 3:53:41
    #

Login to Send PM

1 be careful about electrical outlets, depending on the dust it can ignite when exposed to live heat (electricity)

2 not needed, if you like you can put like talcom powder along the walls of the thing, I hear it makes it slip better.

3 most tapes can prevent bed bugs from getting onto beds, that won't stop them dropping on you from the ceiling

4 putting a seal on the vent isn't the worst idea.. like a kind of film should be decent. Not sure if it'll stop the really small guys. Just don't go overboard, it's not needed.

5 settling up some traps as soon as a tenant leaves should act as an indicator if there's bb's about 8/10 just leave it for at least a week, one by a bed and one by a common chair or couch.. don't forgot to be aware of co2 poisoning.

6 I would say that could possibly damage foundations, and it's not needed.

Bed bugs are not inherently dangerous, they are classified as pests as they carry NO diseases. You'll only find a rare allergic reaction so don't worry so much

8. Meowgoesthecat

Account suspended

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 3:55:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Edit: not most tapes, only a few ^^

9. bugmefool

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 8:23:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Meowgoesthecat - 4 hours ago  » 
    1 be careful about electrical outlets, depending on the dust it can ignite when exposed to live heat (electricity)
    2 not needed, if you like you can put like talcom powder along the walls of the thing, I hear it makes it slip better.
    3 most tapes can prevent bed bugs from getting onto beds, that won't stop them dropping on you from the ceiling
    4 putting a seal on the vent isn't the worst idea.. like a kind of film should be decent. Not sure if it'll stop the really small guys. Just don't go overboard, it's not needed.
    5 settling up some traps as soon as a tenant leaves should act as an indicator if there's bb's about 8/10 just leave it for at least a week, one by a bed and one by a common chair or couch.. don't forgot to be aware of co2 poisoning.
    6 I would say that could possibly damage foundations, and it's not needed.
    Bed bugs are not inherently dangerous, they are classified as pests as they carry NO diseases. You'll only find a rare allergic reaction so don't worry so much

thank you very much for your input. my two biggest concerns are should I dust behind plates (taking your advice here on being careful) and caulk up the place (sealing it completely). should I help the landlord by sealing up downstairs apt as well, in effect helping me as well by doing so?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,664 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me