Is My Row Home Neighbor Infested?

(5 posts)
  1. HugsNotBugs77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 0:04:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone have experiences they can share about suffering BB fallout from an infestation in an adjacent row house? I don't know for certain that's what is happening to me, but that's my fear....

I live in a top-floor row home apartment in a city known to be a bed bug hotspot, and I've lived here for several years without incident.

Just before this past Christmas, I found single adult bed bug on my duvet cover after experiencing some sporadic biting, and I found another at the foot of the bed on my fitted sheet. The PCO retained by my landlord gave positive IDs on both, but after a thorough inspection he didn't find additional bugs, castings, bloodstains or eggs in, on or around my bed (a futon). After a single spraying--I don't know with what chemical--I didn't have any more problems for about two and a half months.

In March, I found another adult crawling on the wall inside my bedroom. Naturally I killed it and tore my bed apart looking for more, but I found nothing.

In May I found yet another adult crawling on the wall in my bedroom, but nothing in or around my bed.

Last weekend, while checking my bed (as I now do every night) I found one under the corner of the futon mattress. The PCO returned for an inspection, and again found no bugs/castings/eggs in or around the futon.

My landlord, who I've known for years and trust, says none of the other tenants in my building have complained, but the PCO confirmed that it's possible a bad infestation in an adjacent building could be the culprit.

Does anyone know the likelihood of bugs traveling from one row home to another? I imagine it's not unheard of. I don't know the people who live in/own the buildings next door and I have no idea how to go about having that conversation with them (if that's even what's happening here). I also don't want to have to treat my apartment every 6 months, and I really don't want to move

Any suggestions, insights or shared experiences are welcome and appreciated.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 5:57:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Highly likely. Some people don't react to bites, therefore don't report any problems with insects. Some people self-treat and could be pushing bugs away and they end up in other homes. There should be a concerted effort to check apartments/homes to find out where the reservoir population(s) are and proper inspection and treatment started. Are there all different exterminators for all the attached buildings?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. thirdusername

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jun 9 2018 11:55:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know the landlord-tenant laws but I assume with proper notice they could inspect the other units.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  4. HugsNotBugs77

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Jun 10 2018 14:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your responses.

Every row house on my block has a different owner. I don't know if they use the same PC company, but my guess is that they don't. Our company is local, not a national chain, the same PCO has come to inspect my apartment each time. I don't know if he's legally allowed to tell me if he's treated the building next door, but I'd like to think that's a conversation we can have if needed in order to solve the problem.

I know I share my bedroom wall with another apartment, because I can hear people on the other side relatively easily. If I had to guess, I'd say the homes on my block were constructed in the early 20th century, so it's not like they're new and well insulated. My bedroom has a newer drop-ceiling that's not in the greatest shape, and there are definitely fine cracks in the corners of the walls and gaps under the moldings. I have no idea what the structure of the buildings is like behind my walls, but I assume it's brick and mortar that's been around for a very long time.

Seems like the first thing to do would be to rule out that it's coming from some place inside our building, and if that doesn't answer the question we approach the owners of the building next door, yes?

Thank you again for your help....

loubugs - 1 day ago  » 
    Highly likely. Some people don't react to bites, therefore don't report any problems with insects. Some people self-treat and could be pushing bugs away and they end up in other homes. There should be a concerted effort to check apartments/homes to find out where the reservoir population(s) are and proper inspection and treatment started. Are there all different exterminators for all the attached buildings?

5. thirdusername

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 10:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

>I don't know if he's legally allowed to tell me if he's treated the building next door, but I'd like to think that's a conversation we can have if needed in order to solve the problem.[b]

I don't know the law but yell him you need to treat at the same time otherwise the bugs will move back and forth between units.
    Ones on both sides of you should be inspected.
    Good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,595 posts in 45,047 topics over 137 months by 19,778 of 20,511 members. Latest: Savingabel16, K2000, 2peanuts2pumpkins