Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Is it worth "pactiting" ziplocs by themselves?

(9 posts)
  1. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 28 2011 17:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a lot of super size ziplocs. Some had items in them that were then put into a pactite closet. I have never reused any of the ziplocs even though they are expensive. Should I take a pile of the ziplocs and pactite them (with nothing in them) so I can use them again? If so, what would be the best way to accomplish this? I know each bag would have to be open but If I simply pile them on top of each other will that work?

2. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 29 2011 16:48:55
    #

Login to Send PM

any ideas?

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 29 2011 21:16:32
    #

Login to Send PM

David James would be the best person I comment on this. I would give him a bit of time to respond as he is probably busy with the holidays.

You would certainly want to use a temperature probe inside a bag and I would probably place it inside the center bag, but I am not sure how to advise you on how to place the bags themselves.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. NeverSurrender

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 30 2011 0:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully David James will chime-in.

5. ByeByeBuggie

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 2:35:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm interested in this too--hoping this bump will help! I hate to throw them out...

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 8:07:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear never,

Treatment of Zip Lox for Re-Use:

As this is a topic of interest to others perhaps you have the opportunity to be of service to all including yourself.

Note that it may not be necessary to have the bags opened or closed during the packtite heat treatment. This is so because the key factor is reaching the target lethal temperature for the exposure time required.

Another critical factor is that the post treatment zip lox continue to function, i.e. they remain sealable and airtite.

As such, please go ahead and packtite treat a few bags. Take them out, seal in some air, apply presure and see if they leak or not. Additionally, operate the ziplok mechanism a few times to see if it functions corrctly. Do this on at least ten bags.

Then, let us know how it works and what results/observations/conclusions you've arrived at.

While I think the bags would likely remain operational, there is a big difference between "thinking something is so" and "knowing something is so" !

I look forward to hearing/reading your results.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

7. bbgirl

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 14:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have done ziplocs 5 or 6 times to "sterilise" them between uses with no problems. I've also had a ziploc that has a faulty zip mechanism right out of the box but generally they are very durable. You could also wash them in hot soapy water but I feel safer just using the Packtite. David James has commented before that they tested plastic bags for extended times with no issues even when they were close to the heating unit.

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 19:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks bb girl, I'm sure there are many others who are interested in this topic ! ! !

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 18 2012 19:17:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I can add the next step to this one.

I have been testing vacuum seal bags to fit more into the PackTite (yes even with 2 closets we still sometimes get a backlog). I have been running test comforters in it with data loggers both inside middle items in the bags and on the outside of the items.

I have no issue with doing this with customers possessions as we have not had a failure in all the tests. For those interested it speeds up the heating by about 3% but it also speeds up the cooling down (as you would expect).

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me