Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

is it true bb can't climb smooth surfaces?? please answer

(9 posts)
  1. StupidApts

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 0:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

ls it just metal? my daughter's crib is very smooth wood (maybe the fake wood). Should they be able tp climb up that??

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 1:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

They can climb any wood surface and they can also climb metal.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 2:27:37
    #

Login to Send PM

And even glass, according to a video from Lou Sorkin.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 12:55:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bedbugs can not climb mirror smooth clean surfaces. In reality this means that they have issues climbing clean glass, clean Teflon, smooth clean plastics and chromed type metal surfaces.

All other textured surfaces they have no issue with climbing including the surfaces above if they become either dirty or dusty.

Hope that helps clarify.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. kitep

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 12:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I've put them inside a plastic tupperware bowl and a glass glass and they could not climb either one. OTOH, my bed legs are metal and they have no problem getting into my bed (though I've never seen them on the metal legs). I think they dislike metal, but can still climb it. I've also seen them upside down on the ceiling. They're bad climbers compared to other insects, but still mighty good compared to us humans.

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 13:09:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to like to get revenge on the one I bagged by flattening out the ziplock he was in and letting him slide to the bottom. He'd run like crazy.

He could get purchase, but he couldn't get great traction.

7. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 13:26:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 10 hours ago  » 
    And even glass, according to a video from Lou Sorkin.

http://bedbugger.com/2011/03/24/yes-bed-bugs-can-climb-up-glass-surfaces

8. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 13:35:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a type of smooth surface which I believe bed bugs cannot climb at all, according to experiments I did early this year when I had access to a small number of bb's for a few weeks:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/storageBoxes/plastic?productId=10000166 .

Of course there are similar containers made by many other companies such as Rubbermaid, Steri-Lite, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc., from the same kind of plastic: hard smooth semi-clear, not frosty and not colored such as white.

I wished to replicate my experiments with large numbers of bugs but no longer have access to any bb's since I don't maintain colonies of my own.

If any of the researchers who do maintain such colonies would like to verify my results with, say, a few hundred bugs, please accept every encouragement from me to do so.

See detailed discussions:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/storage-bins-are-these-any-good#post-119753

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bedbug-barrier-tape-plumbers-tape#post-110435

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/plastic-moat-proposal-for-electronics-and-similar

9. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2011 13:46:26
    #

Login to Send PM

kitep - 51 minutes ago  » 
    ...I've also seen them upside down on the ceiling...

According to my own small-scale experimentation, similar to what's mentioned above, you can absolutely keep bed bugs off the ceiling by placing any kind of smooth clear single-sided tape with the non-sticky side facing outwards, i.e. downwards, on the edge of the ceiling – that is to say, on the ceiling itself, not the top of the wall.

Some bugs, particularly later-stage juveniles and adults, may be able to climb such smooth tape when it's at an angle of 90 degrees i.e. vertically scaling it up a wall.

But they can't grip it, as far as I've been able to tell, when it's *overhead* at an angle of 180 degrees.

Once again, I would urge any researchers who have access to large numbers of bb's to replicate my tests so as to confirm or disprove my findings.

Please see in particular:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/storage-bins-are-these-any-good#post-119897

Then if you're concerned about bugs *coming out from inside the ceiling* to drop down on you, such as from around light fixtures or the like...well, why not slap on cheap duct tape, in two or three layers if necessary making sure there are no holes whatsoever, to prevent that?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams