(6 posts)
  1. bbcomeback

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 19:31:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

So recently I posted in "Tales of Bed Bug Woe" venting about my bed bug situation. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post but I need to ask because I'm at cross-roads. My Mom has bed bugs but refuses to get rid of them despite me asking and begging her to tell her landlord. And since she never got rid of them after 1.5 years, they returned to my Dad's home (where i mainly live and where the bed bug originated from. However we had professionals help get rid of them 2 years ago). My mom refuses to speak to me and is giving my the silent treatment because she's hurt when I demanded that she gets rid of the bed bugs.

I want to call my mom's landlord and tell him/her about the situation and they need to get the professional in asap.

I've never spoken to her landlord before but I feel that she needs to get rid of them. What is holding me back from making the phone call is that I feel like I am overstepping a boundary. While I know getting rid of the bed bugs will benefit not only my mom but also everyone, I'm worried that she will get in trouble with her landlord. He/she would find a way to put the cost against my mom (even though by our Tenant Laws, it is the landlords responsibility) or increase my mom's rent or whatever. I don't want that to happen to her but I can't keep living in fear that once the PCO finished with my dad's place, these bugs will come back from my mom's. (My brothers go back and forth between my parent's places.) I can't exactly ask permission because she isn't speaking to me nor responding to my texts or calls. If you were in my shoes, would you make that phone call?

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 19:50:31
    #

Login to Send PM

While it may be true that the landlord must (usually) cover the cost of extermination, I'm not so sure the landlord would be without legal recourse since she knowingly kept the problem from him for 1.5 years.

3. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 20:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I am really sorry for what you're going through. It sounds like your mother is in some form of denial since she feels overwhelmed, but I could be wrong. Has your mom done DIY treatment? Is there a family member, outside your immediate family, or friend you can talk to confidentially that your mother may listen to? As to the landlord's responsibility, I imagine it's spells out in the lease and by law, so the landlord may be responsible even though the bedbugs have been there quite a while. Again, I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

4. bbcomeback

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 21:07:39
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 hour ago  » 
    While it may be true that the landlord must (usually) cover the cost of extermination, I'm not so sure the landlord would be without legal recourse since she knowingly kept the problem from him for 1.5 years.

That is true. I'm not so sure myself either. I just would like to get rid of this problem in both households but this choice isn't easy to make

5. bbcomeback

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 21:15:19
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 43 minutes ago  » 
    I am really sorry for what you're going through. It sounds like your mother is in some form of denial since she feels overwhelmed, but I could be wrong. Has your mom done DIY treatment? Is there a family member, outside your immediate family, or friend you can talk to confidentially that your mother may listen to? As to the landlord's responsibility, I imagine it's spells out in the lease and by law, so the landlord may be responsible even though the bedbugs have been there quite a while. Again, I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

I think so too. She's been in denial for a long time and I've mentioned about here and there. But when I finally confronted her about it, she shut me out. The only DIY she's done is bug spray and leaving the light on. She believes leaving the light on keeps the bugs away and says the spray works. Whenever I slept over, they never work, for obvious reasons. I'm concerned that they would return back to my dad's for a third time, or even spread them at work or at a friend's house. They are nasty buggers to get rid off. I know this is a hard choice to make

6. thirdusername

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Feb 3 2018 1:47:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I would be worried about telling the landlord and getting your mom evicted.
    Without talking to a lawyer, it seems risky.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,501 posts in 44,036 topics over 133 months by 19,282 of 19,911 members. Latest: trez1336, Aegis_, paulsinn