Is it safe to put sheets that had rubbing alcohol on them into the dryer

(4 posts)
  1. Macy531

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 27 2016 16:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

So I just washed my sheets that had 91% rubbing alcohol on them (unaware that this isn't safe until half way through the cycle). I now have to put them into the dryer for atleast 2 runs. Each run is an hour so that would be 2 hours. Is this safe to do or will it ignite?

2. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 27 2016 19:02:31
    #

Login to Send PM

How much rubbing alcohol total would you say you used?

I'd be concerned about the alcohol igniting even in the washing machine, so it's great that didn't happen.

I don't know at all what you should do, but I found a thread with a similar question and they suggested waiting until the fabric is dry before putting it in the dryer:
    http://ask.metafilter.com/265433/How-flammable-is-rubbing-alcohol

You could also rinse the sheets out in the bathtub very, very, very well to make sure the alcohol was out? Hopefully someone here who really knows will reply.

3. No More Bites

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 27 2016 19:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think that since she already washed the sheets there is going to be no problem with putting them in the dryer.
    How would the alcohol ignite in the washing machine? This intrigues me.

4. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 27 2016 19:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

How would the alcohol ignite in the washing machine? This intrigues me.

Well, my building's HE washing machines use very little water and can get hot in the spin cycle, so that's what made me wonder.

But since you asked, and this being the internet, you can find anyone saying anything, and an appliance technician said:
    "You should not use any flammable solutions in your washing machine as it is dangerous. You run the risk of accumulation of flammable fumes which can be ignited by switches and motors. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions. You will find that the manufacturer warns you of just this thing. In the warning section and on the lid of the machine it directs you to NOT use cleaning agents or solvents in your washing machine."
    (https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101115131709AAxuNYm)

and someone else sparked (heh) a long thread about how their alcohol-doused laundry created smoke:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2441604/i-nearly-caused-a-fire-by-using-alcohol-to-remove-ink-stain

So who knows...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07